Organising Research Visit of Prominent Academic

L

Hi

I wanted to ask some (stupid) questions I have about organising a research visit of a pretty important academic to my uni in the new year. I would contact my sup but we all know how attentive sups are - especially at weekends.

My query is really around money. Is it good etiquette to ask the academic to provide a list of their own expected costs, or do we suggest their costs? Or do we cover only the big costs and they have to sort out their own day to day expenses?

Sorry but this is my first time and I'm nervous! ,-)

A

I was a co-organiser of a summer school and we had several visiting academics. What we did was that the uni or rather my department covered the costs of the flight and the accommodation and lunch on the day. The visiting academic didn't get a fee for speaking or any other expenses. We also didn't cover the costs of the taxi to and from the airport which I thought was mean but nobody else on the committee seemed to think so. All the visiting academics were given a gift which I think is fairly standard. However, how many paperweights does any one person need? :p

I would clarify what your department might pay before contacting the academic themselves.