overwhelmed with work not related to my PhD

X

Hello seasoned Phd'ers, I'm hoping some of you can weigh in with comments on my situation. I just started my PhD in September. I work well with my supervisor as he was my supervisor for my masters work. He is very good at getting me research contracts to earn extra money and get some pubs. So since September, I've been working almost exclusively on research contracts that are extensions of my masters work, and have not even really touched my PhD. My PhD is part of a larger project with other universities, and not really related to my supervisors expertise, so it is really all on me to take it up. It seems he is not that interested in participating in the project. Am I wasting my time being in the PhD program?

S

I have a friend in a situation like this and it has not gone well. I think to make it work, you must be very firm about the amount of time you spend on unrelated work (I highly recomend none!) and be prepared to take sole responsibility for supervising yourself and/or finding good co-supervision from one of the other institutions you are involved with.

Could you move to one of the other universities involved in your 'real' project?

X

I can't really switch to another institution on the project because it is interdisciplinary and we all are from different departments. Is your friend doing ok, or regretting it? I am not able to think deeply about my phd while i am so busy churning out all this other stuff. The bright side is that this will end this year because some project funding will start next September, but it will basically be a wasted year as far as my Phd is concerned. And even then, I'll be on my own...

S

Well my friend is struggling to write up now and hopefully it will work out in the end. But she spent a lot of time doing work that had no benefit for her and that has been a problem. Sometimes she regrets it.

If you can really get on track next year that's good. It's not uncommon to waste your first year - but it might mean you run over a bit, maybe not. That depends on your project.

I have the other part of your problem - my supervisor is not in my area and I am really on my own. It is tough and can be hard to stay motivated and on track. In my case I really don't have another option so I just do my best.

X

Thanks a lot for your reply.

In the past I've found going to conferences to be really good as a means of getting additional feedback, ideas, and getting the sense that your not wholly on the wrong track.

Do you ever find yourself thinking / knowing your supervisor doesn't fully understand what you're doing, and their criticism and comments are sometimes based on ignorance rather than science? If so, how do you manage their input (i.e., justify and explain, nod and keep doing what your doing, etc.)

S

Oh yes! That is really hard actually. My supervisor can give some good advice - but I have had some poor advice because of this issue too. Very hard to know how to tactfully deal with really hopeless advice.

I have been going to at least one conference a year - but I have no allowance for them so funds are limited. I have found it really helpful though - sometimes in unexpected ways.

Sometimes you feel you are reinventing the wheel - and a bad, wobbly one at that. If I had known exactly how this would turn out - I'm not 100% sure I would have gone ahead - at the very least - I would have chosen a different project.

At least it sound like you will be officially collaborating and hopefully will get feedback that way.