panel in two days

C

I am so nervous that I can't concentrate, just want to sleep under the duvet, and can't bear to read through the work I wrote for the panel!

L

I have the urge to just sleep forever and never have to face my work or the panel. (BTW mine is in 2 weeks). I have desires of quiting but I have put too much work in and I know I probably won't. I dislike most of the people I have to work with, even the ones I liked at the start have turned into not so nice people. Only consolation is, soon it will be all over and I will never have to see any of them, the department or my work again.

T

really? how come? what happended to the people.. probably you can make some new friends in the working environment..

C

22 hours.

J

you'll be fine Chris. just get a good night's sleep and get up early, read through your paper and go to the panel meeting. before you sleep today, take your mind off things by doing things you enjoy. a lot of it depends on what's already on paper, not what you are going to say tomorrow.

all the best.

S

You'll be fine chris. No one knows more about your research topic than you. you'll be able to handle any question they throw your way with ease, you'll see. Good luck!

P

Think of it as a chance to talk about your project to people who are paid to be interested. I was worried about mine last year too, but the thing itself wasn't really as bad as the anticipation. I still thought I'd sounded fairly idiotic, but the worst comment I got was 'you're not very good at self-promotion, are you?'

Anyway, best of luck!

C

Thanks for your comments people.

I feel like crying and running away - a highly adult response!

I'm not sure whether they will ask me to leave, and I have no idea how good the work I submitted is. I mean, it is better than the last panel work - but then that was awful, so anything would be better. I hope it is something.

I can't help but cry and worry about my PhD, and try not to burden my boyfriend with all this -especially since he starts his in september.

C

Am I being thick? what is a panel? I have never come across this and Ive submitted...

S

Is today the big day? Good luck

C

I have monthly supervisoons - and then longer panel meetings every six months. It is at these that more critical comments about the research are made and my last one was a total disaster, I was told my work would struggle to meet PhD standard.

The one I just had was so much better. I got lots of encouraging comments and critical feedback to work on. Best of all I can carry on and start writing chapters now. I feel so much better now I know I have improved.

H

Sounds great Chris.

Out of interest, what happens at your panel? Is it like a mini viva?

C

I meet every six months with both my supervisors and the third academic advisor from a related field within the same university. They form the 'panel' which then read a lengthy report (c8,000 -10,000) I give them about my research to date and then they provide feedback, criticism, avenues for research and then fill in university documentation about whether my progress has been satisfactory etc.

I find them scary, and my last one was dire - but this one has left my happy and motivated!