papers posters and conferences ...

D

I have a whole laod of paper deadlines etc- some are for posters/papers/doctoral consortiums etc but i have to write them all with my findigns from my one project (the phd so far). I dont think this is possible. Like i could possibly do a doctoral consotium and a poster with teh same data and change the arguemetn or hte title or soemthing. I dont know how to tackle this as she wants me to use different titles and use the same data to prove a concept. is this possible? Do you get what I am trying ot ask? I am confused myself.

J

quite possible. i've done two presentations on the same topic different title, and i may be doing it again in summer.

I had the same dilemma a few months ago. Not only I was presenting the same work, but the conferences were a couple of weeks apart from one other. Perhaps you could consider approaching them with different purposes. This will change your abstract and your presentation. So for example, one would concentrate on the results, the other would introduce the project (the poster one probably), and the other one could talk about your PhD research but use this particular project as recent findings. Because you are talking to different audiences, it is sometimes necessary to present the same findings at different settings.

A

I've not done this (too lazy to do multiple papers/presentations), but I never thought it was a problem to present the same stuff on more than one occasion. I know it is not acceptable when you submit for publication, but honestly, i have seen so many profs churn out the same stuff time after time after time. and also in prefaces to books, where they say 'versions of chapter 3 were presented at' and go on to list 5 or 6 conferences.
unless there is one rule for profs and another for lowly PhD students of course!