paragraph spacing

The space between one paragraph and the next..

should it be one line, or two lines? (i.e. double) or 1.5? ARRRGH!

M

I think one space is the norm

D

Quote From mamara:

I think one space is the norm

This is what I did. However, I've noticed some put two lines. Not sure if it matters or not but I couldn't see anyone being failed over it.

ok thank you - I've gone through and put one line.

I'll print out and see what it looks like - my sup seems to have an issue with distinguishing betwen paragraphs and would prefer I indent (but I refuse mwahahahaha!)

D

I wouldn't even consider indenting, not sure why but I think it would look strange...

M

I always do one line. I had a previous supervisor who insisted on the indents but I agree with others that this DOES look weird!! I know it's technically correct, but somehow it just makes the page look odd...

yes, it does look odd - I think it *was* technically correct, back in the days of type writers etc. But now I think its much more acceptable to just put a space in between.

A

I used to indent with no space then between paragraphs - does this mean I am old? I thought it looked nice! However, supervisor picked me up on it and I changed to one space between paragraphs.

I think indenting is 'traditional' - many of the journals in my field like you to do it. I do think it looks odd though - too confusing on the eye for me!

D

I think you've hit the nail on the head Sneaks about it being the traditional way and I actually did picture your supervisor as being an older academic based on their preference.

D

We're old together Ady! I remember being surprised that people DIDN'T indent but used spacing. It does look nice in certain contexts but in a thesis I think it just makes reading more difficult and it looks like a mass of text.

L

Delighted to learn I'm not the only one who spaces. I actually thought it was still the norm to indent, so glad to see it's gone out of style. 8-)

C

I don't like indenting. Looks confusing. I used 20 point spacing in my thesis (about the same as 1.5 spacing) and then 20 point between paragraphs, which I think equates to an extra line between.