Part-Time or Full-Time PhD?

H

Hello Guys

I have an unconditional offer for PhD (Marketing) from a very good university in UK. In this university minimum period for full-time is 3 years and for part-time it is 4 years. Both my supervisors believe that I am in a very advanced stage in my research (due to my previous research work), and should be able to finish it in minimum period.

I am confused if I should do full-time or part-time PhD, help me guys?

Advantage for Full-Time: Finish in less time (3 years minimum)

Disadvantage for Full-time: Lots of Fees which I can’t pay

Advantage for Part-Time: Significantly less fees

Disadvantage for Part-time: Relatively more time (4 years minimum)

Since Part-time PhD is only one year more than full-time and it is significantly cheaper than full-time I am more inclined towards part-time. I don’t have a full-time job, so I will work full-time on my PhD even though it will be part-time. I will try to publish as many papers as I can while doing my part-time PhD.

Questions:

1. Can anyone tell me the disadvantages of part-time PhD?

2. I want to join academic career, will part-time PhD have less value than full-time PhD?

3. Will the PhD certificate have “part-time” written on it?

4. Is it possible to change part-time PhD to full-time PhD in year two or three?

Many Thanks in advance

Kind regards

H

:-(

Hi Hih,

I'd go for part-time if I were you: it won't be mentioned on your certificate; in my experience you can go full time for the last year or two (but you'll need to check that with your uni); it's much cheaper so if cash is an issue it makes sense; and you can use any extra time with your institution very fruitfully, for example, writing articles with the assistance of your supervisor, applyng for posts (ditto), and perhaps organising a funded conference or seminar (ditto).

Sorry, but I can't bring myself to do your questionnaire, it feels too much like work admin and I'm freeeee now. But good luck anyway!

S

Hi there,

First of all congrats for the PhD offer. I was also in the same state like yours 2 years back. I had the same feeling. I got the offer for full time but changed to part time as I had no funding. Once I got the offer for part time, I still could not start as cost for the part time too was not that easy for me. Luckily, I got the full scholarship later. I only joined last year. So, changing full time to part time or part time to full time is possible and I know many who have switched from part time to full time or vice versa depending upon the circumstances.

So far I know, there is no difference in PhD value whether you do part time or full time...So far I know from others, part time PhD will take longer than 4 years. Even finishing full time in 3 yrs is not possible for all. My be you will be clear by other's posts later on. Good luck!
SS

H

Thank you so much Eska and Swetchha.

J

There are advantages and disadvantages to both really, but being part time one big disadvantage is the inability to get to meetings/groups that take place during the day - but if you are going to be able to get to these then this will not be a problem. Here I find that the fact you don't have a desk, or even part of one at uni means you don't have anywhere to leave stuff and could make you feel a bit isolated. -also we don't get to get a pass to let you through the barrier into the post grad car park, which is annoying as because there is so little space in the main car park you can't just pop up for a lunchtime session, or before about 5pm when the main student body goes home. On the other hand it gives you a bit of flexibility in the way you work, I tend to work in solid blocks with not much done at other times because my work means I can't just take a day or so off to get on with something. I can also run ahead of the schedule for part timers, and therefore should finish a bit earlier, but I have the extra time if I need it which I find reassuring!:$

H

Thank you joyce