part-time Ph.D in Law and working full time as solicitor

K

I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself as a trainee solicitor who is considering studying a Ph.D whilst working full time. I really just want to know if anyone else has done this and whether or not it is possible. Obviously the job itself is pretty hard going but I have a love for the subject and really want to get to the level of Ph.D.

Any advice would be great.

G

The problem I have found with trainee solicitors is that they tend in their job to mix with the absolute dregs of society and it has a tendency to rub off on them. Put aside there coming into contact with qualified solicitors they also have some objectionable clients to deal with too.

K

eh...dregs of society? Are you talking about criminals? Not all solicitors are criminal lawyers?

Thanks anyway.

Does anyone else have any general advice about working full time and doing a Ph.D?

G

No Keith I actually meant your colleagues. Worried me a bit Keith that you didn't 'get' that exceedingly unsubtle attempt at humour. Can't say I'd want you representing me that being the case.

I agree Dan it was very unconstructive but then again having been divorced twice I do have some experience of the profession as a whole and have some right to be unconstructive.

K

Thanks for the advice DanB.

My reasons for doing a Ph.D are not solely a love for the subject, although that is obviously a large part. I hope to become a lecturer eventually and would almost certainly need a Ph.D. I had considered doing it full time or even working part time and doing the Ph.D part time. Money, however, is not the biggest issue. Before becoming an academic I want get qualified. Obviously I could take a three year gap after working as a solicitor but I don't really like the idea of spending three years not earning.

Has anybody else worked full time whilst doing the ph.D?

W

Hi Keith, I currently work full time as a lecturer whilst doing my PhD. There have been a few threads on this forum already where I have moaned on about how hard it is! For me the worst part is never having free time, going home tired after a full days work and thinking 'I really should start the PhD now'. I was a full time PhD students for 2 years first and I'm not sure I would have made it without that period to collect my data etc. But there are obvious advantages such as money = nicer place to live, the contact with people a job brings which can help alleviate some of the PhD isolation.

G

Putting aside my obvious disdain for the profession I would imagine what Keith is actually suggesting is extremely difficult if not impossible. Indeed I can envisage most Universities not taking Keith on if he were working F/t as a solicitor [have you asked any Keith? It might be an idea]. Also what does being a trainee solicitor involve [examinations?]. Indeed Keith if you did get a Uni that will take you on [I did say 'most' as my old Uni would probably take Bobo the chimp from the local zoo on to do research into eating banana’s and its impact on primate intelligence] would you just end up doing both things very poorly. It would arguably be a better idea to become a [trained] solicitor and then consider you options.

K

Thanks for all the advice

F

Hi Keith, did you register for the ptime PhD? I am PhDing while working Full time and it is really not easy - considering my options to be honest.
be great to hear how your getting on

J

Keith, i think your proposition is perfectly possible. In my experience as a law phd student, i have never come across in the application process, a uni wanting to know what you do with the rest of your time. All they care about is that you are interested in a phd and you want to do it part-time, and that you are qualified to do one. So i wouldn't worry about being a solicitor at the same time. As a matter of fact I think the exposure to practice will greatly help your work as at the moment am doing my phd and having to contact solicitors along the way a lot and trying to relate to some issues without having done the LPC is quite a task. However, since you're saying you're passionate, if you think you can sustain that passion for five years, then go for it.

J

Just so you know what that means - it means that most evenings and weekends are spend indoors after work doing your PhD - at least 30 hours a week. I have found working and studying a bit difficult, but am fulltime and was working part-time. I find that to make progress you have to devote sufficient time to your PhD - as though it were a full time job. Are you prepared for that Keith?

K

I had forgotten about this forum (it was a year ago that I last visited it) and by sheer coincidence I was thinking about it today and it just happened that this thread has come back.

I would like to thank everyone who answered for their words of advice. I decided not to go for the f/t job and p/t PhD option. I realised that although it would have been, in principle, possible, it would have been totally unrealistic. I have a PhD lined up to start later this year (by which time I will have qualified as a solicitor). I have decided to ditch the professional career in favour of academia. The Uni that I will be at have also hinted that there may be an opening to tutor UGs whilst studying. I will find out in the near future whether or not the tutoring job will go ahead.

I noticed that there is another recent thread on this forum about f/t jobs and p/t PhDs. I will be honest and say that when I was considering that option I was being completely unrealistic.

P

Although I was not on this forum when you were posting before, welcome back Keith!

Glad to hear you have made the right decision for yourself. Just wanted to let you know I have a friend who worked for 5 years as a solicitor after finishing uni, but disliked it so much she quit and worked in a sunglasses shop of all places. A little over two years ago she went back to uni to do a full time PhD in law and has loved it.

Now she is approaching the end of her PhD and has just accepted a lecturing job at a uni in a different city and has decided to start that while finishing her PhD "after hours". She is confident she can cope with both - she only has 8 months to go and has already made good progress with her thesis. I guess if you are organised and dedicated, it is possible to combine a PhD in law and work at least for some of the time. Good luck.

K

Hi keith, i am in full time employment and am in the first year of my phd. i dont work in law, but my area of work is related to policy. the advice i would give you is to choose an area very close to the area you work in, eg if u r in commercial law then a study within that field rather than e.g family law etc. be prepared 2 reduce your social life :) as it definately borders non-existent (maybe not as bad as that but..) and it depends on the university but part-time = a longer period to do it i.e. virtually impossible under 4 years. i am sure u have considered most of this, i would say if u got the interest go4it!