Part-time PhD - advice, experiences, funding, travel, working

K

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice and for people to share their experiences on doing a PhD part time.

So a little bit of background first might help guide peoples advice? - I have an undergrad and masters in Psychology and I am currently working as an Assistant Psychologist and Research Assistant Psychologist - senate roles but both related to the area I want to study for PhD. I'm also a parent and would like to continue working part time, hence my decision.

A few of the questions I have:
- how feasible is it to study part time and working part time. (I did working part time whilst doing my masters full time - so I have some experience but I don't know how different PhD study will be)
- I will have an hour 30 minute train journey to the university I would like to study at - does any one else have long commutes?
- How many hours / days are you expected to go into uni to study?
- How often should I expect supervision?
- Is there ever any chance of funding part time? I am going to try and apply for the SFE new PhD funding.

Thank you in advance :)

T

Study pt and work pt should be fine. It's when one of them is full time that it's problematic.

Commute time is ok depending on how often you have to go in I guess. This varies. In many places there's no requirement to go in at all - you would have to check this with your supervisors.

Expect to work 20 hours a week as part time.

Supervision varies from weekly to every three months... basically how long is a piece of string.

Not sure about the funding thing.

If you want to be a psychologist, shouldn't you be thinking about professional doctorates, not a PhD?