Part time PhD and full time job

S

Does anyone here work full time while doing a PhD part time? I have a good job which I don't want to quit as obviously I have to pay bills and rent but I really want to do a PhD so I can research and teach. I know it will be really hard to do this but I just want to know if it is actually realistic or I am going to actually have to quit my job?! I'm having trouble writing a research proposal as i'm not sure how much or how little is supposed to go into this - I think I may be mad to even consider doing a PhD but it's all I've really wanted for a long time now but real life has just taken over I guess!!

D

There is always the possibility that you could apply for, and get, a fully funded PhD (easier said than done though). They tend to be tax free and around £13,000 p. a. but if you like your current post it's understandable that you would like to work on. A part-time PhD is very hard work but it can be done.

D

As regards a research proposal, be guided by your potential supervisor and / or University, as requirements vary greatly.

S

I don't know but perhaps it would help for you to consider whether you could do your present FT job and the same job PT at the same time using evenngs. weekends or how ever you plan to organise it. Could you do that for say 5-6 years?

J

I have a full time job and am doing a part time PhD. It tends to take over my free time quite a bit, although I work in a school - not as a teacher, and therefore in theory have more holidays, it doesn't workout like that, and I have to stay late sometimes, and bring work home as well. It also means that I can't take time off to see my supervisor, I miss out on quite a lot of the daytime sessions and can't often get to meetings, they are very unsupportive, which is odd really considering they are educators and my PhD is to do with education (although they might not be prepared for what I'm writing). Still it is possible and gives a great excuse for not doing the garden...painting...decorating...going places I don't want to go to.... in fact it has some advantages too!!!:-)

A

I am in my 2nd year of my PhD and have a full time job that also has long hours - It is possible if you dont mind a bit of a stop start approach. I have support from a variety of people and this is important. Go for it !

S

Thanks so much for all of your replies - it's nice to hear that there are other people out there doing the same thing - I was worried I was the only insane person even considering it! I work for a university so it's good for me to be here anyway in terms of research and presenting experience although in a slightly different area to what I would like to research and I'm sure they'd be fairly supportive of me. I wanted to contact potential supervisors but the university i'm applying to says I have to apply and they find someone suitable for me which I find a little odd - I will contact some people anyway to ask their advice - just doing as much reading as I can at the moment! I think it feels like i'm out on a limb a bit at the moment as i'm not actually registered anywhere so have no contact with anyone in the same situation as me - all my friends are professionals and working so don't really understand when i'm in my room reading for hours! Thanks anyway it's good to hear that it is possible!

R

Well, a PhD under those conditions will take about 6-7 years, and it can be hard to find the stamina to keep going after about 3.

But PhD research is ultimately very rewarding (albeit more so when you can stand back and admire the finished product 6 months after you've finished it and the intensity has died down).

You say you want to "research and teach" - do you mean during the PhD, or do you mean you ultimately hanker after an academic career after you complete the PhD? Bear in mind that the overwhelming majority of people who complete PhDs in this day and age do not go on to academic careers - some out of choice, many others out of a lack of job opportunities in their chosen field. Without wishing to be excessively negative, of course.

M

Hi there

I started my PhD part time October 2008 and i work full time. I`m not finding it so bad at the moment as it is in the early stages but i always make sure i set aside some time everyday for my PhD- even if its just an hour on my lunch break reading books.

Motivation and dedication is definetly the key- you got this and you should be fine!

J

i think it is quite usual for the uni to pick your supervisors - although they can be changed as mine were, mainly thorugh the influence of the person who wanted to do it, who I think pushed rather hard.

It really isn't too bad, I've got quite a way into my first couple of chapters, even though I have in theory got another year and a half before I have to jump the next hurdle I think they will be ready well before that, in fact I'm aiming for July time :$ not sure if I will do it but I'm going to give it my best shot. :-). My reading has slowed a bit at the moment, but will pick up as soon as I get the practical exams at school out of the way. Half term should see another burst of activity, and the garden will not beckon too loudly at that time, so I intend to start writing bits for other chapters too.

the greatest help really was the very detailed proposal and plan needed to get through the last committee, everything is now very ordered whereas before it was all in the mind, but not a lot on paper. Their rigor (bordering on extreme pickyness)was a blessing in disguise even though it didn't feel like it at the time!

R

My uni picks supervisors for research students. A lot of people apply because they want to come to the college to do their research, so it's the reputation of the place for a particular subject area rather than any specific supervisor that's top of their wish list. Personally, I went with the supervisors that fitted my project though.

I'd go for it if you're that keen on the idea - I did that, I gradually reduced my FT job as I realised I wanted to change career direction as I got more into my PhD. You don't know whether you'll love it or not until you actually try it!