Part Time PhD?

P

Hiya
How do you go about finding a PT PhD? Or is it that you just approach a uni and fund it yourself? Also regarding self funding, how much do they cost?
Thanks

S

hiya petal,
whereabouts are you looking for a PhD - UK, US, Europe, ...?
the way you apply for a place and the costs vary enormously, so to get some useful information you will have to specify your question.

P

Hiya Shani
I am in the UK looking for something in a North West uni. Probably going to be the most expensive subject; chemistry or polymers.
Thanks
Petal

J

Hi Petal,
I've just been accepted at a uni in the North to do a part time PhD - it's Social Sciences so might be a bit different - but I approached a potential supervisor who invited me in to talk about my proposal, I then applied and was interviewed and have been offered a place. The fees are 1600 for the first year and half that for each subsequent year. From the initial research I did I'd say that they are some of the cheapest around.
Good luck

V

How many are you expected to finish for a social science pt phD if that involves fieldwork? Six years minimum? I heard someone finished 4.5 years for a pt PhD without fieldwork.

V

Sorry for the obvious omission in the first sentence, should be "how many years "...

J

yeah, six years, I'm in it for the long haul!

S

It differs depending on your circumstances and the uni

Some unis have a min. registration of six years, but others have different regulations - in my dept you can complete in as little as four years and can take up to seven. I know someone who completed in 4.5 years (with a FT job) and someone else who is completing major corrections after submitting in 3.5 years. Saying that, my other friend just completed after 10 years!

Cost is typically half the usual - probably around £1,500 a year, but it varies and you can look around for a 'bargain' where the fees are less than half