Part-Time Study of MA or MRes

L

Hi there

I could do with having a little more information on part-time studying of an MA or MRres if anyone could help?

Are part-time courses scheduled in such a way that they can be took in conjunction with a 9-5pm job? Or is this something that would differ from course to course?

Basically I'm in no position to give up my full-time job but whilst there are courses that run part-time I would be interested in, none of them seem to specify exactly what 'part-time' entails- for example lectures on an afternoon weekday would be impossible to attend, but I could easily make evening lectures, or even 'blocks' of days that I could take as leave from work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS I'm thinking of MA or MRes in Applied Social Research, something along those lines.

S

Hi LukeK
Many Universities, especially newer ones, do run Masters courses in the evenings rather than the traditional daytime, so you can work these around your full-time job. There is also the option of the Open. However you may find the the better and/or more traditional universities do not offer this option.

B

I'd recommend contacting any universities you're considering and asking them straight out what their idea of part-time is. I studied a part-time Masters and it was based around an afternoon session each week. There were people who were working in the class, but they had to adjust to slightly less than full-time to fit in this session every week.