Part time teaching interview!

M

Hi,
Tomorrow I have an interview for part time teaching in our department. It would not be totally untrue if i was to say i am currently having a small litter of kittens over this and would be very appreciative to get some advice from anyone who has some pearls of wisdom to hand down to me about this - I'd even just settle for some moral support!!!
Thanks everyone
clammy hands moomin x

R

Hi moonin,

best to try and be yourself and enthousiastic about the teaching. This is more important than your actual knowledge.

Relax ,you will be fine!

A

ooh good luck!! ul be fine, just be confident and friendly and thats half the battle! show how ur willing to learn and how u are excited about gettingn to teach others, broadening their horizons etc! i want to eventually teach myself one day and thats y im doing my phd, and i think its one of the most important jobs in the world so good luck!

and make sure u let us know how it goes!

S

i had such an interview a few months ago and will start teaching in October. before i went to the interview i asked some friends what to expect. i was told i might be asked questions like "how would you handle a 'silent class'?" or "how will you include those in discussion who never talk?" or "what would you do about a confrontational argument in class?" or "what would you do if someone starts being offensive?". at the actual interview, however, none of this was asked. rather, they wanted to know about my expertise on the subject. not in an exam way, but rather like "in what contexts (courses, classes, essays, dissertations, current research) did you deal with this and this topic?". and they wanted to know about my previous teaching experience, what it had entailed, which was a bit daft since that was exactly what i had to write about in my application.

S

overall they were very friendly and relaxed but not very serious or well prepared. i had the impression that they were not really interested in what i know or how i teach but rather just if they thought they could get along with me.
that was my experience - hope it helps!

T

relax, show that you are keen to learn new stuff. at least it worked when i did it though i have to confess the interview was terrible since i had no idea about the recent developments in FE. well they gave me the job to my suprise so i guess they were looking for something else.