Parting comments

M

I've just arrived home after a fairly successful PhD interview. I was told i was the last interviewee of 14 applicants. However, just as we were finishing up the head of the interview panel told me that it was a highly competitive programme with 14 prospective candidates and if i don't hear in the next week then i haven't been accepted. I've been speaking to a few people and they have said they have never experienced this sort of thing at the end of an interview. Does it basically mean i have been unsuccessful and this is another way of telling me? I'm hoping that as i was the last person they saw that i will be fresh in the back of their minds. Has anyone experienced this before? I was expecting to be told this at the beginning of the interview or not at all due to the fact that its common knowledge that these positions are competitive.

Hi Macina

Try not to worry too much it is a competitive world out there but you never know!
In my case, as I was leaving the interview even though I thought it had gone well, the interviewer asked me if I had applied for other psotitions and told me to keep applying!! A couple of days later they e-mailed to offer me a fully funded PhD. So keep your options open definitely but don't give up hope (up)

T

Ev is right, I wouldn't read too much into it. I imagine it was a stock phrase said to everyone, primarily so they don't have to bother physically posting rejection letters to 13 people! the panel head couldn't possibly know whether you had or had not been accepted until he'd discussed it with the rest of the team and was probably just reeling off anything he'd forgotten to cover. It's not the most warm and tactful behaviour but then academics are an odd lot! If you do get it then congratulations, if not then keep looking and don't feel discouraged.

M

Thanks very much for the advice!!

I did think it was a little unusual but probably just doing his housekeeping duties. I've got another interview lined up for a big organisation so it would be fantastic if i was successful in the one i had just there. But at the end of the day..... every interview is experience :-)