Pay or dont Pay

L

======= Date Modified 24 39 2009 16:39:44 =======
I have completed my post graduation 5 years back and due to family reasons were unable to pursue my higher studies. I want to badly study PhD. I had applied to various universities 2 years back and had received admission but failed to get scholarship. I dropped the idea because paying for my studies would be every expensive. And many people both students and professionals mentioned that its not worth doing PhD if I pay for it myself. But the desire to do PhD has not left me. I am ready to pay for my studies. I would like to know if I will be able to pay back my loan, meaning will there be job opportunities. I would like to work and do not want to pay nearly 60,000 pounds and end up with out a job. but if the future is good for PhD graduates then I wouldn't mind spending money. I do hope someone can help me . I am confused is it worth studying by paying my own fees??????

S

A lot depends on what kind of project you are talingabout. What subject are you thinking about? Self-funding is more the norm in some areas than others.

L

I have completed Pharmacology. And am planning on doing PhD in Biological Science. Once when completing the program will our further job and research all be restricted in that particular area? I hope to work in Clinical Trials and drug research.

S

It's unusual to self-fund a PhD in any applied science field. You would have to get a pretty fantastic job to make that expense worthwhile (especially if you are paying international student fees). If I were you, I would try to get a graduate entry level job in the field with a view to getting the kind of position where you can work on your PhD as part of your job.

H

I would be incredibly reluctant to embark on a self-funded science PhD in the current economic climate, when one cannot be certain what the job/funding market will be like in three year's time. Don't forget, as well as your fees and living expenses, you may have to contribute to lab consumables if you're not funded, which is no small expense.

I would suggest:
1. Trying to apply for PhD funding again. So you were unsuccessful last time. Perhaps whatever you have been doing since then will count as good experience and strengthen your application.
2. Apply for research assistant jobs in labs. Firstly, this will give you a salary. Secondly, this will give you more experience for your CV. Thirdly, if you really can't get PhD funding, it would probably be better to do your PhD part time in the same lab as you also work part time. But first you need to establish yourself in a lab.

S

hi! I agree with Hazyjane :-)

S

Hi! In my field lots of people self fund! they usually work part time so it takes 6-8 rather than 3-4 years. As well as funding bodies you should ask about in house scholarships and fee waivers. Go to the university webpage and try to find info about all of the scholarships they have, some of them will only be a couple of hundred pounds but there are some more substantial grants too (a friend of mine got an obscure scholarship that wasnt always awarded because noone wanted to study within the field specified - it might be worth tweaking your application to fit into funding requirements). You could also appraoch the department you work in about getting teaching/tutoring work and maybe a position as a lab tech. Lots of things are available that mean you wouldnt have to take such a big loan and would also make you more employable afterwards.