People who don't understand

L

I was talking about the people that as soon as you say you do a PhD respond with comments such as "why don't you get a proper job" "just an excuse to stay a student" etc.

M

How about replying "Well, if it's so cushy, why don't you do a PhD?"

A

I like that one.

T

Something someone said to me when I said I was going back to uni to do a PhD was 'So you can't hack it in the real world then?'

That really p*ssed me off!!

Like in previous comments, I don't think that anyone will understand what it is like unless they do one themselves of have close contact with a friend/relative/partner who is doing a PhD.

B

People can be really down on you over this. Yesterday my sister told me that I was a waste of space, boring & dont live in the 'real world where people work'.... Oh and also that she would rather lie down in the road and stick pins in her eyes than do a research degree. So that was really encouraging & I feel very down today :( Wouldn't it be nice is everyone could just respect the value of every job, including those in universities? Us PhD's cant be so far removed from reality. Without research nothing would progress for everyone - including those who often give us these nasty or even half jokey comments.

H

Bug, it sounds like your sister is jealous.

Ignore her and just think about the reasons why you do the PhD.

My brother always comes out with stupid comments but at the end of day I know he is proud of me.

T

I think alot of the time people take the mick and come out with stupid comments because they don't understand firstly what you are doing and secondly what motivates you to go back into academia for another 3-4 years.

D

what does motivate us to go back into academia for 3-4 years ... coz i cant remember! x

S

I get told I'm avoiding 'real' work, but I work four days a week and fit in PT study!

I don't expect people to understand what a PhD involves, but I do expect them to respect the fact that it IS a lot of work and that I have the same commitments as anyone else. I have one friend who is getting stroppy with me because I can't visit her at the moment (she lives the other side of the country) - she doesn't understand that with Xmas deadlines looming I don't have the time or the cash.

U

I know EXACTLY what your talking about, lemon err orange.

In fact, I know nobody at all who does not think I'm doing a bloody university course.

U

Correct english: I don't know anybody at all...

I'm saying hello to Alia..