Periods out of PhD due to no motivation?

G

To add to this question - how do you cope with being overwhelmed by work when you come out of a period of low motivation?! I have been feeling low in work avoidance mode for a few weeks for various reasons (my software not working, seen v.similar work at a conference) one of those weeks was an unproductive holiday. I'm now back and trying to cobble together a transfer report out of 16 months of badly taken notes.

S

Quote From grahamwebb2000:

To add to this question - how do you cope with being overwhelmed by work when you come out of a period of low motivation?!

As lots of other threads have said, you need to break the your work down into smaller tasks that are achievable, make lists, cross things off as you go. I've worked out that if I write 3 pages a day for 3 months, I'll have my first draft written - 100 000 words is overwhelming, but I think I can do 3 pages most days.

I've also just come back from a conference and am feeling re-energised, so maybe getting out there in your field, discussing things with colleagues etc will also motivate and inspire.