Permission Required for A Quote from a Book?

S

======= Date Modified 15 05 2009 07:05:55 =======
======= Date Modified 15 39 2009 06:39:58 =======
This might sound like a silly question, but I am really concerned about this issue, so any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

If I plan on using a quote (of one or two sentences) from a book, do I have to obtain permission from the publishers of the book for this despite citing the original source, page number, etc? Will it constitute plagiarism on my part if I don't seek permission even though I will be providing the entire reference (plus explicitly stating that this is a quote)?

Would greatly appreciate quick responses on this (if possible)!

Cheers! :-)

P

What? I think I am getting you wrong, for this seems so simple! Everyone quotes people, in journals and in books.... if it's a direct quote you put in page numbers...one would die if everyone was to seek permission from every person they directly quoted... imagine the sheer hassles it would involves, I cant even begin to think!!

But obviously i guess that is not what you mean,...if you intend using other people's data, reproduce their images etc, then of you are publishing a book you would need permission I think...

M

No, you don't need permission. As long as you cite your source correctly, you're fine.

(If we needed to get permission to use every single sentence quoted in our theses, I think some of us would need another 3 years to get them finished!)