Pets and Phd life :-)

C

I had to wait for ages to get them - i missed having pets all through my undergrad and then after i didn't want to get any when i was in a shared house. I've always grown up with animals and it changes the whole feel of a home when you have them. the only bad bit is everything gets furred!!!

yes, especially in spring time.

J

How do you house train them though? We always had animals growing up and I liked them but the house always stank of cack.

C

As long ass you dont get them too young from their mum then they should have learnt the basics already as a litter tray would have been provided when they were little. I think it depends on the litter - i think the best is tescos own brand clay stuff. De-poo it every day or so and then change once a week (thats what i have to do with two cats) the only reason the place would start stinking is if they are going to the toilet somewhere else other then the litter tray. Mine did that for a while - behind the boiler and i couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from - only to find this pile of dry poos - very gross!!!

ours learned from their mother (mother still lives with us). But as soon as their jabs were complete, we installed a cat flap. They haven't needed a litter-box in the house since, so no more smell in the house

J

Ours would cack behind the TV, despite litter trays and catflap. Think they just preferred to crap in comfort rather than venture outside.

H

I was watching that Animal Farm programme last night, those mutated mice looked really cute. I want one. Do mice smell?

I've watched that too H Yes the mice looked so cute, but I can't say the same about the one with an ear on his back, or the featherless chickens

I

I was gonna bring that up today too - I'm still in shock. Sheep-humans? Regenerating limbs? Can you imagine an ageless society of mutant frakinstein's monsters? Apparently, it's just around the corner! If that happens, I'll be off with my one-way ticket to somewhere 'undeveloped' for the simple, natural life...

T

The animal farm thing was interesting and I can see lots of possibilities for the technology but I would be afraid of it being misused.

I didn't like the featherless chickens and from a practical view point I don't think they are a realistic venture.. I can see the chickens ending up with alot of skin damage and abrasions as they dont have the feathers protecting them. This would lead to health issues and processing problems.

@ H

In my experience mice do have a certain odour about them, they tend to scent mark using urine.

P

I have chosen a 'fluffy' topic to lighten up my doomed mood about my PhD!!
I have a ridiculous ShihTzu, who is mad and has only 1 thing on her mind. She is basically a fur ball on legs who luuuurvs boy dogs, neutered or not. To such an extent that she is confined to the kitchen to give the boys a break (We have 7 dogs!)
I have decided to find her a husband to curb her wicked ways and there will hopefully be the sound of little paws late summer! She is an absolute scream though and hopefully will lighten up my PhD days to come! (The other 6 are not mine!)

J

Did you see that article in the Guardian about the correct pronunciation of Shitzhu? (It's Shee Tzuh apparantly, not Shit Zoo). Which means that a bulldog-shitzhu cross is a bullshee, not the other word

P

Yes, everyone pronounces Shih Tzu the wrong way or laughs when I say her breed name. Her name is Looby Loo and my little boy made up a song (innocently) that went "Looby Looby Loo, she's a shi££y zoo, Looby Looby Loo!" He had some very quick lessons on correct pronounciation before sharing his new song!

H

lol