PhD - 2 days to decide......

L

Hi all, I've been offered a PhD in Biological Sciences to study the effects of forest cover on small mammal abundance. I would also be trying to find a method to I.D individuals from DNA taken from scats.

I applied about 2 weeks ago, had an interview on monday and they want a decision straight away - I convinced them to give me until friday but it still all feels so rushed!! Is that normal or are they expecting a bit much?? I didn't get a great feeling about the place but that could have just been nerves....I'd be moving to the other side of the country etc etc... I really want to ask for more time but as i've already been given until friday is it pushing it a bit much to ask for the weekend???

The other thing i'm worried about is the lab work - i've got a BSc in biochemistry but that was 5 years ago. does anyone have experience in extracting DNA from scats? what is the likelyhood of being able to get samples of enough quality to I.D individuals from?? It sounds a bit of a long shot to me - maybe too risky for a PhD?? Especially seeing as the project is very fieldwork heavy, so not leaving that much time for lab work......

I've got so many questions but i'll try not to bombard you all!!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you :)

T

Hi Lkay

First up, the DNA issue. I used to work in genetic testing and our standard samples were stools, so yes, you can get decent DNA from faeces and genotype it no problem. The extraction process is of course somewhat messy and time-consuming, but it's perfectly doable. I'd imagine that the condition and age of the scats may impact your yeild slightly, have you checked any publications to see how others have used this technique? The process of identification could require quite a bit of time, but once you have the DNA you can run all the tests in a batch.

In terms of your being asked to respond to the offer right away, that's pretty standard. I was asked on the spot five minutes after one interview! You can of course ask for longer to think things over (best to say you need to check up on logistics of moving or something) but if you give them a firm date for an answer then do stick to it. Gut feeling can be a good guide but you do need to separate it from nerves. How did you get on with the supervisor? Did you meet any other students, if so how did they seem to feel about the place? Does the project really light your fire (concerns over methodology aside)? Don't let nerves or the gap since your degree put you off, but if it's really not for you then be honest and don't feel under pressure just because you got an offer.

D

What happens if one accepts a PhD but later feels they have to pull out, maybe because of a change of plan or a 'better' PhD offer comes along?

L

Thanks Teek, thats really good advice. I'm relieved about the DNA part, least thats one less thing to think about!

I got on well with the supervisor, I had a tour with a postdoc and they seemed happy enough, I think the only thing bothering me is the place - you know how sometimes you can just see yourself somewhere? well I really couldn't - maybe just nerves i guess. Its fairly isolated which didn't help, and a good days travel from home (I know these are all silly personal things to ask for advice about, i should probably just pull myself together and stop winging!!)

Should I try and just put that aside if its a good project?? Its an interesting topic and I havent found that many of them so far. Its just such long time to be living somewhere you're not sure about. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!!