PHd admissions requirements...

M

I'm currently in the process of completing a masters in European Politics at Surrey, and have been thinking about going on to do a PHd. Having talked to my supervisor and some of the other faculty in the department, they've recommended that I should make an attempt at a PHd. Although Surrey is an option, and those that I've talked to have given me a positive response, there isn't that that much research going on in the area that I'm interested at Surrey (trade unions). I'm also worried about my grades. For undergrad I completed a BSc in Business Adminstration and Management at Boston University (US) and got a 2.78/4.00 (however the grades for my political science minor was 3.30/4.00). Clearly, I was studying in the wrong field. At Surrey I am more probably than not going to graduate with a merit (probably at around 65% +). I was wondering, how likely is it for me to find placement and what range of universities should I aim for? Thanks.

H

Find a project you like the look of, irrespective of where it is (unless you have a particular fondness for a certain neck of the woods), with someone in charge who isn't a complete doofus. Then tot up the grant income (if apppicable), potential extra earnings, etc against where you are going to live.
You now have a happy little formula to help you decide where you are going to have a crack at that Good Ol' Barrel 'o Laughs, the PhD!
Enjoy

M

Oh, is that it?! Well then, I'm set!

I'm just a bit worried about my lack of distinction worthy grades.

T

You can still get a PhD without distinction grades! I have just been offered one at Hull and like you I am on course for a merit in my MSc and my BSc was a 2(1). When you add on the fact that I am 43, have no research experience to speak and did my BSc with the Open University while working full time in a non academic area, it shows anything is possible if you are enthusiastic. I applied for two, got interviews for both, first was negative, said they couldn't rsik taking on someone with no research experience at my age?? Why interview me then?? The second one at Hull stated my enthusism for the subject matter was the key! So go for it, and good luck.

M

Thanks. It just seemed as if everyone on this board were high flyers when they did their undergraduate work. It amazes me how under served most normal students are when it comes to finding academic guidance. The smart ones are pointed towards ways to get the funding they deserve, while the poor students are basically shut out. The rest, and the majority, is left to figure things out for themselves.

I think I'll take the risk and go for UCL and Nottingham, they seem to have individuals who are conducting and seeking to conduct in areas that I'm interested in. I guess the question is how to approach them.

M

Okay, another question, seems financially Surrey will be my only option. Let's say Surrey does accept me and I manage to get a studentship through a teaching assistant programme. It says I'd be working 180 an academic year, does that mean during the summer I'd be able to do additional work on the side?