PhD and modelling- for those short in cash:))

V

In today's Guardian there is an article about an 'easy' way how to supplement your student's income- by modelling:) Apparently, even PhD students do it;) Thought you might like it;)

R

modelling what? prozac?

V

Being a fashion model;)

U

with my looks, i'm much more likely to make money mathematically modelling than fashion modelling.

A

Wow, that's quite weird: I got a message on my myspace from a talent scout/modelling agency yesterday saying they were looking for eye models in the north east and they'd seen my photos on my myspace and were interested in me. Apparently it's for eye make-up and glasses and stuff. I was thinking of answering just so I could see people double take when I said I was a part-time model!

V

Alicepalace: that PhD student who was interviewed in Guardian said that being a model is quite well paid job compared to working in a bar as a waitress:) So, are go going to give it a try?

A

I don't really know: I might try and get some more information. I don't think it's very high end, though: it sounds more like littlewoods catalogues or on an advert for specsavers rather than London Fashion Week or Vogue!

C

Don't knock it. I was gutted I was chosen to "model" in the departmental brochure, then it never happened.

R

Many many many moons ago, when I was much younger during my undergraduate years, I did a little bit of TV extra (Neighbours!) and minor movie extra work. The pay was excellent for the amount of work involved and my friends had a great big laugh the few times they caught me somewhere in the background on TV.

As of last year my ugly mug (albeit with a cheesy grin) was used in brochure advertising by an industry-related insurance/superannuation organisation. As of this year I recently discovered that the same mug shot has been recycled and is in use in another one of their brochures.