phd application dilemmas...

B

Hi all, have been lurking for a while now, and finally decided to come out with my own question!
I'm in a bit of a confused state right now, and would love some advice/reassuring words. I graduated with a first in 2006, and since then have done an MA and an MSc, with a distinction in both. Along the way I had so much encouragement to apply for a phd, as I was 'good funding material', but even though I find the potential subject fascinating, I always felt that I wanted to do something more practical (it would be in humanities).
So I ventured out into the 'real world' and so far am feeling pretty disillusioned - I'm missing being able to research my own area of interest and having to work for someone else rather than myself. I also really miss the subject itself - I don't think its a case of just not knowing what else to do! It's only been six months, but I'm starting to wonder if my decision to leave academia, which I was so sure about until a few months ago, was the right one.
Now I feel so rushed to make a decision and take some action - I've been thinking about it since November, but for some reason haven't been able to motivate myself to sit down and write a proposal, although I did contact a few places. I've missed most of the funding deadlines, and all of them unless I really rush things now, and I know the most sensible thing to do is wait a year, but I feel under such pressure to do something about it now. To complicate things further, my partner is studying in Manchester for the next 2 years (I'm working in London), and it seems more sensible to get on with it now and be students at the same time, possibly even the same place.

So I suppose I'm looking for some advice about whether I should try and sort out an application for September this year, which would be a rush if I want to get funding (it seems silly to go ahead self funded if I have a reasonable chance of getting it) or just calm down a bit and wait for next year. That option is more sensible, but it scares me because I'd feel like I'd failed by not organising myself in time, and I'd be at least 28 going on 29 by the time I finished. Also it condemns me to another couple of years of the dreaded long distance relationship, although I know that's not a good reason to make decisions like this.

Sorry for such a long post! I would really appreciate any thoughts people have about working a few years before Phd study/how to decide if its the right thing to do/coping with relationships along the way.x

C

Hello Sarah,  I worked for a few years before starting my PhD and I think it was the right thing for me.  It gave me an insight to what it'd be like to do a PhD and have a career in academia so I went into my PhD knowing what to expect workwise anyway!  It confirmed for me it was the right thing to do!

I don't think you are too late to apply for PhDs as you can basically start a PhD anytime although there maybe certain deadlines for funding you mentioned.   I would not rush into a PhD as it's a big commitment so it's a good idea to be sure it's what you want to do and that you are doing it for the right reasons. I would evaluate your decision carefully before deciding on doing one  - at the end of the day you need to be motivated enough to do the research (it takes over your life!) and write it up which will take 3-4 years!  I wouldn't worry about age as it doesn't matter and it's in your favour to have had experience working in different environments and you'll be able to knuckle down a lot quicker than someone who has just gone through the system!  There's no harm in applying for PhDs now if you're sure that is what you want to do, if not give it some more time in the real world (e.g. a year) and apply then or keep looking until you see something you fancy doing or get funding to do!

I'm just wondering is working in London part of the problem as I know many people find London a daunting and impersonal place so don't like it.  As everyone is so busy there it can be isolating, lonely and hard to meet people.  So amongst this feeling of disillusion are you thinking of academia with rose-tinted glasses as you were determined to leave it? 

As for commuting it's a pain and would be ideal if the both of you lived in the same place but I would not base your decision on this.  I know people who it has worked for as you both have to be flexible with the arrangements. 

Good luck with your decision!  Doing a PhD is life changing and you probably won't look at things in the same way again! (up)

Only you can decide if you want to so a PhD, but from what you say about disillusionment with the ‘real world’, and wanting to research your own area of interest it sounds as if you do want to do one.

The main issue with applying for September 2009 start is the research proposal. If you haven’t started one yet it is too late to do one now – the deadlines for funding are a within the next week or so and there is not enough time to put a decent research proposal together. I would forget about a 2009 start. With a first at undergrad and two distinction masters it would be madness to go self funded, even if it would make seeing your partner easier. Overall I think your best bet would be to put together a rally good proposal for 2010, get funding and start a PhD then!

I also agree that working a few years before doing a PhD is an advantage and there’s no issue in being 28 when starting a PhD

S

hi, only you can decide whether a phd is right for you, but if you do decide to go for it then i would make a start right away, get that proposal done and start contacting potential supervisors. it is possible to start a phd at any time of year in theory (i started in july), and potential supervisors would be able to tell you whether this would be possible at their institution, if you could still get funding etc. if you can't find a place that starts before next year, at least you will have already been in touch with people and they will bear you in mind for the sept 2010 start instead.