PhD Application Expectations

F

I am trying to apply for a PhD but am having some problems. I was given the advice of sending a brief synopsis of my research to various professors (potential supervisors) to get their advice/ask about their research interests and start a dialogue but have been universally told by them to apply first and then they'll consider what I have to say. So I have now submitted some applications and am being told that I should have asked for help because they're not right. What's going on? Have I missed something?

N

Hi FinnicketyKick,

I used to be in a very similar situation and it took me quite a while to get my head around the PhD applications in the UK. After emailing my research proposal to a research fellow, he told me that it is really good (bla bla...). He asked me to apply and I was rejected. I emailed him again and he told me his research group does not work with that kind of topic.

I finally got more success by really targeting my proposals to the research interests of potential supervisors, even with one or two articles from them or their research group. I sent the proposals with an email stating briefly why I think my ideas match him his or hers. I ended up getting a very nice email back from a researcher, with whom I then had a two-hour conversation. The application was just paperwork and accepted right away.

In the mean time I read a lot and worked really hard with improving my proposals. In sum I can say that the more effort I put into writing and contacting in a targeted way, the better the response and the more help I got. The exception I described above may not be a good supervisor anyway ;)

C

Maybe the feedback you've had is meaning that how you've structured the research proposal rather than the research idea itself needs revision. Have you/could you ask an academic you currently have access to, rather than one you're applying to work with, to read the proposal through just to see if they can give you any advice on whether in general terms it follows the format they would expect?

Why don't you see what funded research studentships are offer in UK Universities? Search via:

http://www.findaphd.com

and see if anything there fits in with the subject area you wand to do?

Normally in the UK, a potential supervisor or research group has a project they want to do for which they obtain funding. They then find a person to be a research student to fill the resulting vacancy.

You are forwarding yourself as a potential student with a research idea who is trying to find a supervisor or research group. If what you want to do does not fit in with the potential supervisor's or research group's interest, you are less likely to be accepted. Even if you are, your approach means funding is less likely and you may have to pay out of your own pocket if you want to proceed.

I'm not sure how much my blog will help, but here goes:

http://www.wearthesis.talktalk.net

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

F

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did go back.and revise my structure leading to a couple of offers (unfunded but I'm going to work) so hope to start in October!