phd applying for english

W

My master degree finishes in september '09, and I would like to apply to start a PhD in that Septemnber. However, whilst my MA finish then, the dissertation is not marked until at least mid December. So how will the uni I apply for a PhD make an offer? Surely they can't admit me without knowing what I got for my MA?

Thanks for the help

L

Well don't you have any exams during your masters that would give you an idea of what grade you are expecting?
When we apply to uni we don't have any results we just get in based on predicted grades and references usually

I guess it would be the same

W

yeah, but I'm saying is, that if I began my PhD in September, my final mark of my MA won't actually be made available until September...so I'll be three months into studying the PhD and they won't have confirmed my grades. So how could they allow my study there without knowing my MA result?

B

Your referees would predict your MA grade based on previous work / their knowledge of you. I got funding for my PhD WAY before my MA results were out (before I'd even finished the dissertation) on that basis.

B

Just wanted to add - the easiest thing would be to approach your MA convener / personal tutor (whatever you have or call it), and ask her / him this question.