PhD at age 52

D

Thanks for the great post!

I've been logging on to the site for inspiration, and as I struggle to finish my final draft, at times (at age 44) I've felt, "I'm too old for this!"

Thanks for reminding us that it's all about enjoying this crazy, fascinating, frustrating, exhilarating journey!

S

======= Date Modified 26 Apr 2011 13:53:33 =======
======= Date Modified 26 Apr 2011 13:52:14 =======
Thank you everyone for taking the time to read and reply.
I've now found some lovely data which I know you will all appreciate and I hope enjoy as a distraction to be mulled over ha ha

Of the 3,700 full-time PhD students aged over 30, around 140 were aged 50 or over. The equivalent figures for part-time were 650 of the 3,430 (30 or over) were aged 50 or over.

In terms of completion rates, the table below shows a further breakdown of the completion rates reported in Tables 19 and 20.

Age group          FT     PT
Under 25          81%     57%
25 to 29          75%     55%
30 to 39          73%     53%
40 to 49          62%     47%
50 and over     68%     46%

T

Hi Snowdrop! Thanks for your post. It really made me happy! I'm 40, in the second year of my part-time self-funded Phd and trying to summon the courage to leave my high stress high profile job to fully embrace the simplicity and frugality of studying... ...just for me.

Marie

C

Hi Snowdrop,

Well done you! I think the fact that you are doing this just for you is the best reason in the world. I am sure that you will get so much more than purely your qualification from this experience.

yours in positivity
Carole
www.maturestudentsuccess.com

S

======= Date Modified 03 May 2011 22:53:04 =======
Update on cycling attire- I'm currently testing golfing trousers as these are stretchy, use techie material so sweat is wicked away, and also are pedal pusher length, they are not too tight so look OK when you arrive at your destination. I suppose anything that is good enough for a golf club is good enough for the library ha ha!