PhD at Manchester or Salford

B

Hi all

Is there any difference in doing a PhD at Manchester or one at Salford?
Does it matter about the institution?

Thanks!

Quote From Brifdhgfd:

Hi all

Thanks!

You might want to look at this as regards Salford.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=412628

However, I wouldn't base your decision on statistics alone. Go visit each, have a look around, see the facilities, talk to potential supervisors and other students and make your decision primarily on that. Decide on what is right for you.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

E

I was offered an interview at Salford for a GTA as they are cutting a lot of their teaching staff (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-13087147).

Manchester is better known than Salford on the global stage- But as previously said which one do you prefer? And with the current climate you may find you have to apply for both!

M

Without a doubt, Manchester. Its got a much better rep especially within research and has put lots of money into new buildings and equipment over the last few years since it merged with UMIST. I am biased as I'm just finishing a phd at Manchester in chemistry however my girlfriend is just finishing a masters in psychology at salford and the administration and general teaching standard there sounds a lot worse, also the location of Manchester uni is a lot better.

The main thing to consider is that phds aren't really standardised and as such potential employers will put a lot more weight on the institution you studied at and if you end up getting a job in academia then the person who supervises you and even your external examiner can add weight to your qualification.

D

Quote From Mackem_beefy:

Quote From Brifdhgfd:

Hi all

Thanks!

You might want to look at this as regards Salford.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=412628

However, I wouldn't base your decision on statistics alone. Go visit each, have a look around, see the facilities, talk to potential supervisors and other students and make your decision primarily on that. Decide on what is right for you.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

Sorry - off topic but you contributed well to the discussion in that article Mackem_Beefy. Sounds as though you had an excellent supervisor (he/she really did their job). I'm not that concerned but sometimes I feel compared to others I've gone through this with relative ease. I didn't mind the writing up (still ongoing) it's the periods of hanging around waiting that stress me. However, as much as I like my supervisor as a person, I sometimes think is their lack of feedback really because I'm doing good work, as they suggest, or simply because it's easier for them to say that rather than actually read and consider my stuff, which I'm more inclined to go with. I've had about 5 chapters returned with no feedback and so how do I know it's been read? I'd have much more confidence in your supervisor than mine.

K

Hi! I believe that there is actually much less of an emphasis on institution for a PhD. Obviously, Manchester Uni is well-reknowned as being a very good institution for both taught course and research, but there are other issues to take into account if you are planning to do a PhD. Whilst the institution is arguably very important for undergrad and masters degrees, for your PhD you are more likely to be judged on the reputation of the particular department (which may differ significantly from the reputation of the uni as a whole), the reputation of your team and your supervisors, and of course your PhD topic and whether you manage to publish any of your work (very important in some subjects if you want to get a post-doc). Of course, all these things being equal, then being at a university with a good reputation would also be an advantage, but I think this is less salient at PhD level. Primarily, you need to find a department where there are researchers whose topics of interest match yours, and who would be willing to supervise you. Good luck with it, KB

P

What is your subject?

B

My subject would be the Built Environment. I believe that Salford's dept is 1st in the country in that subject area and has been consistently (?) over the last 5-10 years but theres also the more global appeal of Manchester. Any comments?

thanks everyone

P

I would say that it doesn't matter about the institution. I've studied at Manchester for the past six years but in the arts which it does have a good reputation for. I have no idea what the reputation is for the Built Environment and have never met anyone studying that or even know where the department is based. That is not to say I'm blinkered as I do know where most of the other departments are - I think what I'm saying is that if Salford is recognised as being highly regarded for that then maybe that should be your first choice.
Salford uni is within walking distance of Manchester so as regards location it doesn't really make that much difference. The whole area is great with lots going on so I'd say either would be a great choice. But you have to go where the best option is, where the best supervisor is and where you feel that you will get the most out of your research time.