PHD at Oxforrd v

F

how the oxford PHD compared to others Uni? is it hard?`i'm currently looking for supervisor at oxford ...any recomendation good supervisor in engineering...:-s

S

Oxford university is one of the very best universities in the world. Whilst engineering is not their top subject it is still a VERY prestigious university to go to and it is VERY hard to get on a PhD programme there without significant prior achievement. I would expect most people there to have got a first class bachelors degree from a high ranking university and to then have a masters from a similar ranked university. Having said this, I have a friend who works there as a Research Fellow who "only" got a 2:1 for his MEng at Newcastle uni then completed a PhD at Newcastle Uni.

As for supervisors, go to their website and have a look at who their professors are in the specific field you are interested in. I assume you have a project in mind and/or you have funding? If not then try findaphd.com to check for available PhDs.

F

currently my funders seems to approve on Cambridge, oxford, imperial and manchester only.... which is better on anyone opinion ...looking for supervisor 1st then taking their topics...or we giving out our topic to supervisor for consideration ? thanks in advance..

S

Quote From Ferum:

currently my funders seems to approve on Cambridge, oxford, imperial and manchester only.... which is better on anyone opinion ...looking for supervisor 1st then taking their topics...or we giving out our topic to supervisor for consideration ? thanks in advance..

Well if you can get in to any of those they are good universities. Imperial is very famous for engineering above all other subjects. I would look for a PhD that suits you rather than starting with trying to find a supervisor. The topic you study is very important as if you don't like it the PhD can feel very long and boring.

visit the uni websites, use findaphd.com and choose your favourite topics at any of the universities. Then apply for all the ones that interest you. Hopefully one of them will give you a place on their PhD programme.