PhD by Publication (Published Work)

B

Hi all,

I am thinking of to starting my PhD (I have a scholarship and have deferred enrollment), but my faculty does not allow a PhD by Publication. Also, the PhD research needs to be completed during the time of candidature (not previous published research).

I already have three peer-reviewed journal articles, a couple of commercial book chapters (which will be published), and a further journal article under revision. I am now thinking a better option would be to find a university that awards PhDs based on previous publications, and applying to do a PhD by this route once I have reached the minimum threshold for "how many" publications and quality, etc.

Therefore, I'd like to know if anyone knows of universities which:

1. Allow a PhD by Publication
2. Allow one to submit already published work as part of the PhD
3. Award the PhD relatively quickly once one has met the minimum requirements (e.g. they organise a PhD examination within 12 months of enrollment)
4. Do not charge a huge tuition fee for examining the PhD

I know this sort of program is offered at RMIT University here in Australia, but I am not a staff member or alumni there. My preference would be to do it in Australia, but I'd be prepared to enroll in a UK university if it was a relatively simple process.

If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

W

Hi there,

Here is a Britsh newspaper article from two years ago:
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/postgraduate/postgraduate-study/the-alternative-way-to-get-a-phd-1942607.html

It doesn't look very easy to set up and it looks like you would meet similar challenges to what you already have in Australia, however, the article proves it is possible in the UK.

Perhaps first you could try and see if anyone you have previously studied under has links to RMIT and would be willing to get you a foot in the door there.

======= Date Modified 28 Mar 2012 15:49:59 =======
There's also this, with an argument put up against the view that PhD by publication is inferior to traditional PhD.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=416988

EDIT: The whole process seems, depending upon establisment, to vary between a short statement of originality to effectively a thesis describing and tying together the whole work. In the latter case, you're assumed to have done the research work with the write-up process still to do.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)