PhD by publication

K

Dear All,

I would be very grateful if you could let me know which universities in the UK carry out the PhD by publication thesis in the field of science. I am finding it very difficult to get information on this type of degree. I have not completed my bachelors degree or my masters degree by research at a UK University so I guess I am even more limited as possibly certain UK universities require you to have studied there before you can be considered.

Any help that you might have in letting me know which institutes would consider applications if your degree and masters degree was obtained outside of the UK would be much appreciated.

Thank you kindly for your help in advance.
Killerwhale:-)

J

the only people I know who have done this are lecturers who have a fair collection of publications to their name, and are just doing it to get the title because they need it for the next stepI suppose. The publications have to have some theme or other I think and you need about five. However the ones I know about are not in the sciences. I'm not sure how it works for others who are not in academia. Best thing would be to contact a couple of universities and see what they say.

R

I don't quite understand your situation, have you completed a bachelors or a masters degree anywhere, or just not in the UK?

The only academic I know who's got a PhD by publication was awarded it years after his book was published, and that was in a humantities area, so that's not much help to you.

As PhDs produce a lot of information including publishable material, is there a problem for you in doing it the usual way - ie PhD then publication? You've still got to research it, write it and make sure it's academically rigorous, whichever way you do it, if it's going to be awarded a PhD.

K

Dear Joyce,
Many thanks for your reply. Sorry for the confusion. I have an honours degree and a research masters degree obtained in Ireland. I currently am awaiting news on my 4 th paper and I am starting the labwork on the next two. I would like to try to find a UK institute that will look at my proposal based on papers I have already obtained and planned future papers so I can see if I can meet the requirements and find an appropriate supervisor whom would act as a mentor throughout the process. I already have a theme and I am writing the proposal as we speak.

I am trying to find UK institutes that offer thE PhD by publication route so I can discuss with them what my options are.

Many thanks in advance.
Kindest regards

E

I am not sure that you can use papers that are based on a project from your previous studies. In fact I am pretty sure that the research should be unique and not part of another degree. I could be wrong, though....