PhD completion time

M

Hi,

Would you accept answering the following simple questions about PhD programs in your university:

1. What is the official completion time of a PhD in your field at your University ?

2. On average how long does it *actually* take to complete a PhD ?

3. Is there an official deadline (time limit) for completing a PhD (full | part time) in your University ?

Thank you for your cooperation.

In my case it was:

1) 3 years;

2) Around 4 years; and

3) Maximum 5 years unless there were extenuating circumstances.

The maximum for other places was four years.

Add two years onto those figures for part-time.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

M

Thanks Ian for your cooperation.

S

In my field the answers are:

1) 3 years (although the plan is to make this 4 years, ie. 3 yrs research + 1 year writing up - I was the first student in my department to be put on this new pathway)

2) Between 3.5 to 4 years - most people are under financial pressure to finish as soon as possible as they are only funded for 3 years - this is why they are trying to shift to the four year programme

3) There is an official deadline - I'm pretty sure it is 5 years but can be up to 6 years if the student has extenuating circumstances (illness etc.)

Those are the figures for full time - double them for part time students.

PS. I am in the sciences if that makes any difference!!

P

1. 3 years (FT); 5 years (PT)

2. 3.5-4 years (FT). Most PT finish in the 5 years.

3. FT is 4 years max and PT is 6 years max.

A

In my University, it is as follows:

Full time: minimum 2 years, maximum 4
Part-time: minimum 4 years, maximum 7.

P

+1 to PsychBrainiac.

Also 'completion' is a loose word and it depends on when you think completed is.  I didnt really think about it until I started my 3rd year but completion can refer to many steps. Is it when you submit? Finished your Viva? Finished your corrections after your viva?  Or when you are awarded your degree?

Potatoes