PhD Entry Requirements

I am looking to apply for a PhD in Sociology as I have recently finished my MA in the same discipline. Before thinking about funding, can anyone help explain the entry requirements that a university asks for from PhD applicants? I was under the impression that a good first degree (2:1 or 1st) and an MA was sufficient, but I have recently heard that some universities set their own higher criteria. People have told me that some universities require a mark of over 70% for MA dissertation and 60% plus in all other MA modules from prospective PhD applicants. To what extent is this true and how much does this vary from university to university?

There is an article on FindAPhD on PhD Study in the Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences. The better the department, the more competition there will be and consequently a higher standard will be required. However qualifications are not the only consideration and the strength of your research proposal will have considerable weight.

B

======= Date Modified 25 May 2011 09:25:19 =======
Some universities take relevant life experience and working experiences into account i.e If seen NGO workers that flunked their undergrad start a PhD. Some universities require 2:1 minimum and 70%/Merit at MA. I applied to several and the only real measure seems to be: 1. Can you afford to pay (I'm not insinuating education is for sale here - no flames). 2. Is the project viable/worth doing. 3. Can that university offer relevant supervison. 4. From the proposal, is the standard of thought, reading and overall concept in fitting with a PhD standard.

Four yes answers and you're in. Less than four and it's more of a negotiation: for point 1. a 3+1 course or an additional MRes. For point 2. some feedback and a discussion on the research. For point 3. 2 x Supervisors or a suggestion of where would be better to apply. For point 4. Maybe go back to the drawing board and rewrite the whole proposal.

Good luck with the funding, it's hard to get. Have a backup plan - just in case.