PhD from same institution as undergrad?

J

Hi, I'm looking for some advice! I've been offered two PhDs - one of them at my old institution, one at a new one. I was wondering if it looks better, once having completed a PhD, for it to be from somewhere different from your undergrad? Also, one is industry funded whereas the other is a scholarship - is there more weight to either of these? Thank you!

P

I was in a similar situation. Got offered two funded places, same rate, similar projects. One at the same Uni I'd just finished my undergrad at and one at a different Uni. I stuck with the Uni I was at for three reasons. 1) I already knew my supervisor and he is one of the best in the field. 2) The project was closer to what I wanted to do. I was interested in other one but it was a slightly different take. 3) The University itself had a better research rep.

You might get asked why you've stayed on but I don't think it makes a difference. It'll be a question borne out of curiosity rather than a judgement on you I think. What matters about your PhD is the output and maybe the suitability of your supervisors. If you put together a poor quality thesis and papers then it doesn't matter if you've moved or where you've moved to. Likewise there's no point in moving Uni's for the sake of it if you end up with poorer quality supervisors or a project you're not as interested in.

K

Hey Joanley. Some folk say that it's better to move to a different university, but personally I wouldn't move to a different university for the sake of it. I have done my BSc, MSc, and now my PhD at the same university, and certainly have no regrets. The main thing is to be in the best pace to carry out your PhD- if that is where you are, then stay there. If it isn't, then move! At the end of your PhD you will be judged on the publications you have, who you have been working with, and on conferences you have presented at- but the main thing will be the publications. So you need to be in the place where you know your supervisors are doing well and have a good reputation for producing good research, you need to be in the place where you are sure you will get quality supervision, and preferably in a department which scores highly on the RAE or other measures of research quality. And of course, in a place where you will be happy to live! I fully intend to stay on at my university for a post-doc if I can- I have absolutely no reason to move and every reason to stay put! I have asked a few members of staff at my uni about whether they would look down on someone who stayed in the same place for a long time if they were recruiting for a position- and a lot said that actually, it can look really good. The university have clearly fought for the funding to keep you on, so you must be a good researcher for them to want to hang onto you for that long! Some of the staff I asked also said that it really wouldn't matter either way, you would be judged on your work, your publications, and your supervisors. So they're the things you need to be thinking about (in my opinion!), although others might disagree with me! Best, KB

S

I'm doing my PhD at the same uni I did my BA and my MA and with the same supervisor too! For me it was a no-brainer, my sup is the leading expert in the field, I know him well, I know the admin, I know the system and I'm comfortable there. For me there would have been no point changing unis as the supervision could only by definition be poorer in some respects. I don't think its looked down on in any way, this is all to do with the project and the supervision rather than the colour of the gown - obviously there are a few institutions we'd all scream in horror at lol, but so long as its a respected one why move? That was my reasoning :-)

K

I will start my PhD in October and it is at a different institution from where I did my undergrad. After completing my undergrad in 2009, I started an MSc at the institution where I will do a PhD and, for me, it was a good decision.

First of all, I loved (and still love) the institution where I did my undergrad. However, I wanted to move on afterwards firstly, because the Masters course I wanted to do wasn't available there and secondly, because I wanted to broaden my horizons. Overall, it was a good decision because my BA was broadly theory based and my MSc has focussed heavily on methodology. This has meant that I now have a well rounded knowledge of both aspects of my subject and this has aided me immensely.

I did apply for a scholarship at my undergrad institution but was knocked back, and luckily I got into where I do my MSc. Although this scenario meant my 1st choice happening anyway, a part of me would have liked to have gone back. However, all things considered, I'm doing the right thing.

I think you have to ask yourself a few questions, aside from the practical ones regarding funding etc:

- Do you want a change of scenery, or do you feel that having a whole experience at one place is more fulfilling?
- Which institution is more inclined to your interests?
- What are the pros/cons of living in the different towns/cities (if this is a factor)?

The first question is one of personality. For me, I wanted a change of scenery and a new challenge. However, I know people who want to remain loyal and also gain the full experience at one place. This question can only be answered by you.

The other questions are utility questions that you will have to work out, but where you can probably get pretty objective information to use in your calculation.

Finally, your point about scholarships and industry funding: I have no idea! I assume you are in the science/engineering sector and this is something I know very little about coming from social sciences.

J

Thank you so much for the replies of advice - really appreciated and all makes a lot of sense! My other concern is that it is two very different projects in different areas of research - I'm finding it really hard to seperate the pro's and con's of the each of them as they are both projects that really interest me. What I'm wondering is how pigeon-holed you might become by the project of your PhD? i.e. say I took one of them is the likelyhood of my later being able to do something in the other field quite slim? Thanks again for your advice!