PhD hours - am I a slacker?

K

So this week I have been mainly coming about 9 - 4 with about an hours lunch break. But I was speaking to some other first years and they seem to have to come in 9 - 6 and don't have breaks. I go for coffee breaks whenever I like! Am I already slacking or are they just super keen?!

J

For me it comes and goes: some times are busier than others. I've stayed past 2am before now, but other times I've just done a few hours in the morning. Don't tire yourself out unnecessarily now and then you'll be able to work for long periods when the time comes.

It's not like working behind a bar: you are not selling your physical work, but your ability to solve problems - and if you find you work better in short bursts with lots of breaks, then don't let anyone else tell you to do otherwise.

C

Hmm..I'm in from about 8-5, but that's only because I can get a lift in at those times

Others here appear to be in from 9/half 9 to about 4, so I wouldn't worry just yet

S

I'm social science so anyone who does more than sitting around drinking coffee and watching Judge Judy all day is a real keener LOL

D

I'm arts/social sciences, so in theory its 9-5, but then there's the two hours spent around lunch time in the coffee place round the corner, where we of course discuss serious work related matters I don't gossip at all!

B

Time waits for no-one.

My usual hours are between 9am and 7pm although most of them are spent on eating, drinking, tetris, soduku, gossip (fav topic- lab romances), MSNing my ma, panicking, sobbing etc...

What a life.

R

I think fear of failing keeps me in all day (well 9-5). However, i do seem to spend most of my time messing around having coffee etc. In fact, I probably do about 2 hours real work a day. Hmm, thats worrying. And im not a first year. Oh dear, maybe I should stay longer and faff more otherwise I might fail (this is spiralling out of control).

B

I have no real set plan. It varies every day. I try and get an idea on what I want finished by the end of the week and just focus on these things. Strange I know.

M

I also do 9-4 most days (sometimes more, sometimes less), though don't have much of a break for lunch but do have coffee breaks when I need. It doesn't sound to me like you're slacking - no one seems to tell you what is expected anyway. I'm social science and seem to be at uni more than some of my peers, so I take it that I'm doing okay. Other people in the department seem to think my hours are ample. I find that it helps to be physically in Uni and to have a routine, I get a lot more done that way.

L

I don't have planned hours, I just get up when I wake up get ready and go in (Usually in by 10 though). When I get there I just stay until I get done what I have to do that day and go home, sometimes that means I stay till 10/11 at night other times I can leave as early as 3. I guess it depends on the type of work you're doing and how well it's going.