PhD in anthropology...waste of time????

B

Hello everyone,
I've been reading posts on here, and some comments, combined with comments by some of my lecturers at uni, have made me very worried and confused. I love anthropology and want to be an independent (as much as this is possible) researcher. I feel I need a PhD to be really considered an anthropologist, I figure it is the first step (or second, after undergrad), really, in a life long journey of anthropological research and enquiry (eek that sounds terribly syrupy).
I don't expect to finish a PhD and be handed a job, clearly that's not going to happen, also I realise its not entirely necessary, if at all, to have a PhD when I want to work in international/social development. Probably a masters, and work experience, would be fine, maybe even better. BUT I want to be considered an anthropologist, and do extensive ethnographic fieldwork.
Is this possible outside of academia? I am hearing that if I do not want to work in academia, then there is no point in doing a PhD in anthropology. But I love the idea of being in a researching/learning environment, of doing my own research, possibly publishing articles, of engaging in academic/anthropological discussions, etc.
And I am not saying I don't want to work in academia, period, just that that is not my main goal for wanting to do a PhD in anthropology. Even if I do not strictly need this kind of degree for future career prospects I still feel I want to do it.
But is this a waste of time? Or silly/ridiculous?
Keeping in mind, in Australia research degrees are free, and I would (hopefully, depending on my marks this year) receive a decent amount of funding which would see me through for 3.5 years, with the expectation of not taking much longer than 4 years to finish (ideally).
I'm just unsure if wanting to do a PhD for the sake of the research itself is perhaps vain and pointless. ???
Will I potentially be over-qualifying myself, or will the research and field work experience be invaluable?

B

If the PhD is something you really want to do and you are not going to get into debt by doing it then why not do it. It's the norm in the UK to do an MA first in your field to strengthen your research skills - is that a possibility? It might allow you to test the water a bit and then see what you think. I actually think your reasons though are exactly why you should do a PhD. However, I would talk to as many people who have done one (preferably with your prospective supervisor) so that you get a real sense of what it would be like. I enjoyed most of mine (particularly the fieldwork) but there were times when I was miserable as it was both tough and isolating. I also had the good fortune not to hit any major academic, personal or supervisory issues. Others on this board have been much less fortunate and have not found the experience worthwhile. So I think going in as well informed as you can be is a good thing.
On the over-qualified front - could you do some informational interviews with people holding the sort of jobs you want to see what they think? I think there are two things that can be problematic. You produce a highly theoretical thesis that you can't explain in words that make sense to prospective employees, or that you come to assume that the PhD replaces some other vital criteria like work experience. Both of these can be guarded against if you are aware of the potential problems at the start. I did go into academia (now wondering given what's just happened in the UK if this was a very bad decision...) but I wasn't sure about it, so kept networking in policy circles while doing my PhD, attended some of their workshops not just academic conferences, presented my work to practitioners etc. I think if you do this sort of thing and get your face known as a useful person, then that can really help with the 'PhDs = arrogant, over-educated and useless' prejudice that sadly some do have.

B

Thanks for that Bewildered.
Already next year I am doing volunteer work in India with a development organisation, so when I'm there I will try to talk to as many people about it as possible. Yes, I've read a lot of threads on here with people saying they would never have undertaken a PhD at all, as work experience would have been a whole lot more valuable. I can understand this, however I have been given to understand that a PhD is also a personal thing, not necessarily entirely devoted to climbing the career ladder. Although I would expect holding a PhD to increase one's employability, at least a bit.
In Australia it is not necessary for us to do an MA before a PhD, sometimes you will be required to begin as an MA, to have it transferred to a PhD if it is found to be suitable for this purpose, but not at my uni. After realising that in the UK and US it seems to be a much longer process to gain a PhD, I'm wondering why the process is so short in Australia. Actually I don't think that here, they prepare you well at all, especially not for an anthropology PhD. It was never required to take any ethnographic research methods units, and before undertaking the PhD there is no formal training in fieldwork methods etc. I guess you just learn as you go.
Another positive thing for me is my supervisor. He is a great supervisor (I have just completed my honours dissertation) who enjoys learning off postgrad students as much as they can learn off him, plus his area of expertise is very similar to my intended field of research (sort of, urban poverty and social relations in the Philippines). After reading some of the posts on here, some people sure have been unlucky with their supervisors. My sister, currently doing her PhD, also has a fairly unresponsive supervisor.
Anyway I'm rambling on. Thanks again for the words of advice, I think I will spend the next year doing what you have said, and make a decision then about the best path for me to take.
:-)

S

Hi, I actually joined this forum because I was googling around trying to read about other PhD students experiences. I think your questions are really good. Perhaps my experiences are useful. I completed a MA (long thesis - about 300 pages based on one year of anthropological fieldwork) in 1995. I loved the fieldwork and did well in the degree. My external recommended upgrading to a PhD but my supervisor was hesitant (he was still researching his PhD). I then worked for several years, as an applied anthropologist and loved some of it. I then found myself in 2002 working for an AIDS research organization and realized that without the Dr behind my name I was missing out on funding opportunities as well the respect of my peers (mainly medical doctors!). I began to do the research in 2003 and now in 2010 am only completing the thesis! In the meantime I have started a family...I have published about 20 or so articles, yet still don't have the degree. I am even co-authoring a book...so I have really played the game with little consideration for the rules and yet I am pretty happy and pleased with my career. In other words there are basic guidelines and typical ways of doing this, but I would really follow your heart and do what you think is best for you.

D

Bonnie, I am dong a PHd to further my research aspirations (I am a mature student with some publications in my area of interest). I am loving it and it is giving me the skills, confidence and contacts to do more meaningful work in the future. I have hopes that it may help access research funding however I am singularly unsucsessful in this regard so far...

Like you I don't aspire to formal academia. So if you want to increase your ability to do research then a PHd should be very helpful.

However I don't know if one will be important in your area in order to gain employment or would doing a shorter MSc and then getting work experience enable you to get going more quickly.