PhD in fiction / creative writing / literature

E

Hi all. I am new on here. Although I have a very good first degree and a Masters degree in Archaeology (from British Universities), I have not studied academic writing as such - but I seem to have a natural talent in writing. I am thinking of doing a PhD, but I don't know if what I have in mind is even possible. I write fiction in my native language, and my work has been awarded in my country (at international competitions). I have published short stories in very popular books, with famous authors, but I have not published my own fictional book yet. So, I wonder if one can do a PhD in fiction in the UK (in English), in creative writing or the like, simply by writing a fictional book. Is it even possible? I was thinking that since I am about to write a book in English anyway, why not combine it with a PhD if this is possible? Have you heard of anything like this being offered in the UK?

T

I've never heard of it and I'd be very surprised if it's possible. A PhD is a research project, awarded upon completion of a thesis. You'd also probably need some sort of degree in English to do a PhD in literature.

I tried searching FindAPhD for Creative Writing and was surprised to find the following, if it's of any help:

http://www.findaphd.com/search/?Keywords=creative%20writing

H

Quote From experimental:
Hi all. I am new on here. Although I have a very good first degree and a Masters degree in Archaeology (from British Universities), I have not studied academic writing as such - but I seem to have a natural talent in writing. I am thinking of doing a PhD, but I don't know if what I have in mind is even possible. I write fiction in my native language, and my work has been awarded in my country (at international competitions). I have published short stories in very popular books, with famous authors, but I have not published my own fictional book yet. So, I wonder if one can do a PhD in fiction in the UK (in English), in creative writing or the like, simply by writing a fictional book. Is it even possible? I was thinking that since I am about to write a book in English anyway, why not combine it with a PhD if this is possible? Have you heard of anything like this being offered in the UK?

Yes this is possible lots of people are doing it across the UK. I know quite a few of them.

H

Here is the first hit in a google search for "PhD Creative Writing":