PhD in Germany - info please

P

I have BA with honours in Classical archaeology and currently doing Masters in Cultural Heritage (course work) both in Australia. I am planning on doing my PhD in Germany as I have found a few experts on the topic I am interested in. I still have a problem of how to approach the whole thing - was wondering if anyone would be able to help me.

- is it possible to do your research in English (is that something that you discuss with your potential supervisor or with the faculty?)

- should you first contact potential supervisor and discuss possibilities of doing PhD or should you apply to the chosen university and than nominate supervisor (I always thought the first one would be more logical but I'm not sure)

If anyone is able to help me with this I would be very grateful.

Sanja

O

Hi,
It will be better if you contact potential supervisors first and ask them whether they would be interested to work with you and whether you can study in English. There is no application process to the universities as it is in GB or USA. You are normally not considered a student anymore but a researcher. There a some exceptions where you find courses comparable to GB. However, you normally will be employed by the university (if you are lucky and they have the money). There is some good information on the website of the DAAD.

P

hey thank you so much for the info. I have contact a few potential supervisor yesterday so I am still waiting for reply. At a few universities they told me that I need to apply with research proposal to some sort of board of examiners (advisory body) but they didn't provide me with more info. I'll try to contact DAAD about it.

Thanks