PhD in Germany or U.S.?? DILEMMA

K

Hi, I need your advice!! I have completed my Masters Degree on Economics at Penn State, USA. After giving a one year break, I decided that I had to go for a PhD. Very fortunately, I got two acceptances: one from my older uni.: Penn State, the other from the Humbodlt University in Berlin!. Does anybody have an idea about the reputation of the Humboldt? Are the PhDs in Germany comparable to U.S ones (I mean the reputation). I only know about the working conditions they are harder in Germany, and I will only earn about 900 Euros, even not sure I can live with that money...But I love Germany...

C

Go to Germany. It is such an opportunity.

R

Hi Koska,

the Humboldt university is well known in Germany and has a very good reputation in Germany. I think it is classed amongst the better universities in the country.

Berlin, although a big city is less expensive that cities like London, Paris, Rome. On the other hand 900 euros is not a lot of money so will have to be creative. Taking into account you field of study you will be familiar regarding how use your money!

V

What is the rationale behind your application to Germany uni in the first place? You should have weighed against each other before application. If it was simply because you love the country, then money and working conditions shouldn't put you off. Again if you really love the country, you should have known conditions there and should not flounder whether you can live with the pittance in the here and now.

K

Ohh, sorry, I forgot to mention the most important issue: I will be working for an institute as a "stipendiat" and live in Halle (Saale) although my PhD thesis supervisior will be from the Humboldt zu Berlin.

I have heard a alot about former eastern Germany. Let s say, same food at the same supermarket, rents and train cards are of half price? Also it is boring and very unlike the Western part?

Adding that important info, do you think I can continue living with 900 Euros (net) without any debts? I am going to earn 1300 U.S. dollars in U.S.A. As far as I observe 1 Eur is equivalent to 1 Dollar in Germany.

O

Hi,
I just post you a link for shared accomodation in Halle
http://www.studenten-wg.de/Halle%2520%2528Saale%2529,mietspiegel.html
it is really cheap and I have lived from less money for years still going out every night. Especially going out is much cheaper (entrance fee for a club is about 3 Euro). You shouldn't have to pay health insurance or tax so you have plenty of money. Shopping (apart from cloth) is cheaper then in the UK no idea for USA. I don't know Halle but for all the places in eastern Germany I know they are not boring. You can hardly tell the difference between east and west nowadays if it wasn't for the low prices
I would take the chance as it looks great on your cv.

S

i totally agree. life is really cheap in eastern germany, but still lots of fun, and you wouldn't be far from berlin and have lots of opportunities to go there, as your supervisor is there. berlin is fantastic. and being a stipendiat is really good for your CV and probably means you will be getting other benefits rather than just your stipend, no?
lots of people in germany live of 370€ (plus rent but that's cheap) as that is how much you get when unemployed (Arbeitslosengeld II).