PhD interview presentation

M

Hi everyone!! I'm new to this forum, I wondered if anyone could help me with something...

I've managed to get a biology PhD interview (funded) against all odds considering my undergrad degree was a 2:2. Maybe they liked my covering letter I guess...I know I wont get many other chances like this seeing as most people seem to have firsts and distinctions. Im also still in the process of doing a masters.

So i have to make a 10 minute presentation about research I have done thus far. Is this pretty much standard practice with all Universities?

I have also heard (the email inviting me to the interview didnt mention it though) that there is a 5 slide limit. Is this also generally true of PhD projects? Maybe its just true of the Uni Im applying to

Finally, if anyone has had interviews for biology PhDs, did you present research you had done as both an undergrad and postgrad (if applicable) or just one or the ohter?

Thanks so much for any advice! I gotta prepare quicckkkk I only have 5 days! Is that short-a notice usual?? An interview after just a week of being shortlisted...?

D

Congrats on the interview - I hope it goes well.

I've not got experience preparing a presentation for a PhD interview but I've done one for a RA post I applied for after my Masters. I have not been asked to prepare presentations for any of the PhDs I got interviewed for so it doesn't seem standard in my field which is not biology.

As a general rule of thumb allow one minute for each slide unless you have a lot to say on some slides.

I would go into the the reason why you want to do the topic you are proposing by way of intro, rationale, any research you have done in this area, give brief outline and then give results and conclusions, and what you hope to do next. It could showing where there are gaps in knowledge so you could fill them, or maybe show how you can extend previous results etc...

I would think the presentation would only be for the interviewers as they would be assessing you individually but I am not sure on this. Maybe you can find out from HR? You could them to clarify it so you can adjust your presentation to the audience and it's helpful to know who will be on the panel so you can read up on their research interests and try to see if yours fit. It's usually helpful to link your research to that of the dept.

Good luck. You can do it and let us know how you get on. (up)