PhD: is it affordable?

C

Can anyone tell me if a PhD studentship really is affordable? My problem is that I have to make a monthly payment on a loan, and whether it's advisable to go into a PhD with debt on board? Are there any tricks/hints for cheap living whilst doing a PhD? I've looked at applying to be a university warden, which will hopefully reduce uni rental costs.

Thanks in advance!

K

Medical/research testing can be pretty lucrative and with flexible hours as a PhD student you could probably do quite a lot and it doesn't all involve taking drugs or anything remotely dangerous.

Tutoring is also an option, but I don't think it pays enough to be worth the work (preparation/marking etc) to be honest.

But...if you have a crazy big loan repayment each month the best plan is to work out a proper, very detailed budget. (go to www.moneysavingexpert.com) Put *everything* you spend in there, even the things you'd normally forget such as coffees and magazines.

C

Very good advice. Thanks!
I'm pretty determined to make it work, but money is always a daunting subject!

H

The university warden thing sounds like a good idea unless you plan on doing a lot of work at your residence (freshers make a LOT of noise). At least you wont have to pay for your accommodation, bills and you get paid to live somewhere!

Tutoring can pay quite a bit, I was getting around £25 an hour for A-level. Do that a couple of nights a week and you have your food money for the whole week (plus some more - go out for a drink).

T

Hey H.. How did you get involved in tutoring? Thats something I wouldn't mind giving a go.

S

A LOT of my friends were wardens - really worked for them

P

Well, I'm going to be doing some seminar undergraduate teaching next term (very nervous about it!)but the pay is relatively good. Friends of mine have taught undergrad seminar teachings at other unis also!