PhD Life and ....romantic and sex life....

H

Why on Earth have we dredged up a two year old thread about sex?!

R

Good point, Hypothesis!

L

======= Date Modified 24 Jul 2009 20:19:51 =======
I am unable to achieve a work / life balance. My sex life has not necessarily been affected, but my willingness to involve myself emotionally with a potential partner has.

Help!

R

Quote From Tommy1983:

I'm 26, and have been with my girlfriend for 3 and a half years. We moved in together 2 years ago. Our sex life is fantastic. Furthermore, she routinely states how romantic I am.

Did you search through old threads just so you could post this somewhere??? How odd... :p

Rosy, I agree!

Also! At 1:30 in the morning, surely someone with the kind of prowess claimed by this arduous poster would be at it, or at least sleeping off a session, at time in the morning, not trawling through archive threads on PhD forums.

And! The idea that his girlfriend 'routinely' tells him how romantic he is comes across as questionable, I mean who 'routinely' does something like that: a wind up doll?

Also! The poor grammar made me doubt the verisimilitude of this potent posters words, surely no PhD student, who was in no great distress, would be so slack (unless of course there was some other, more empirical distraction at hand - please excuse the pun).

S

No Eska! Naughty!

I think its very rude of you to imply that Tommy's girlfriend is a wind-up doll. Surely his girlfriend is one of those lowly undergraduates he picked up in the library and who is so in awe of his amazing abilities to balance work/phd/social life that she cannot help but remind him on a daily basis. Yes she's one of those independent and secure girls...

And what tommy also fails to mention is precisely what stage of the PhD he is at. I may be wrong but I have serious doubt that he's writing up less than 40 hrs a week... there may be no time for his 'special' girlfriend then, he'll have to keep her in cupboard and only bring her out on special occasions.

P

What a truly hilarious thread! But I am more drawn to the travails of Leopardi, who, unlike his name, suffers from a lack of similar qualities.... and the fact that Leopardi, a new user, just chanced upon this forum, and this thread exactly when it had been resurrected after 2 years....

Yes, I  know, I'm being a bit naughty! I've got 'surely I should be on holiday: everyone else is' jet lag, which is putting me in a mischievous mood, so I couldn't resists letting it all fall out of my head, and onto the thread (or writing in spontaneous alliteration). Yes, I too feel that she who bestows routine gratitude and appreciation to Tommy is probably not a doll: or any other man made item.

I meant to say ardourous, not arduous, in my previous post; so sorry for any confusion.

Personally, I find the idea of emotional commitment to a one on one relationship a big, intrusive prospect at the moment. I don't want anything in my life that could possibly drain my PhD project, although it would be wonderful if something came along which didn't.

S

Bug, is that an offer to help Leopardi out of his emotional rut?

Personally I find it amazing that a man (I presume) is self-absorbed enough to think "I want sex with no commitment" is news worthy of posting on a forum!

P

Quote From sleepyhead:

Bug is rolling on the floor...

Yeah, Leopardi's post could be taken two ways, I mean, firstly, that he has a problem with relationships which are anything other than sexual, so he wants help getting some more sexual ones. Or secondly, the cry for 'help!' it could mean that he wants people to help him commit to relationships with emotional depth.

I advise Leopardi to go with the flow and not worry about it too much; people tell me that the right person will wait until the PhD is over.

Bug I hope you're not rolling on the floor with someone out there in cyberland: not Leopardi is it?

P

Quote From eska

Bug I hope you're not rolling on the floor with someone out there in cyberland:

not Leopardi is it?

If only!!! My life for the next 3 years, sadly (or happily?) will be single, I think :-)

S

Ah now this is why it's good to be a married PhDer. Husbands are such low maintenance compared to boyfriends ;-)

L

======= Date Modified 25 Jul 2009 21:27:26 =======

Quote From sleepyhead:

Personally I find it amazing that a man (I presume) is self-absorbed enough to think "I want sex with no commitment" is news worthy of posting on a forum!

The brevity of my reply led to ambivalence. No, it's not necessarily a case of pure lust. Perhaps I implied excessive despair, but above all it's an issue of priorities. At this time my research is more important to me than a relationship, but it's not an easy sacrifice. My heart and head prosper independently or not at all.

Eska - thanks for your empathetic response.

L

======= Date Modified 25 Jul 2009 21:30:19 =======

Quote From phdbug:

Leopardi, who, unlike his name, suffers from a lack of similar qualities...

Please elaborate!