PhD life: what's it like?

C

Hi guys,

I'm due to start a PhD studentship in January, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice? I'm a bit nervous, and I've been reading through the various topics on here, and it's a bit depressing! There are a few of you who seem to love what you do, which is great! I absolutely love my subject, and I'm really excited but could you sum up what PhD life is really like?

Thanks!

R

What will be your area of research? It's a bit different for PhD students from various areas of study, although all are likely to be very busy throughout their PhD years until they submit.

C

Hell. A pure unmitigated hell

C

Hell! Good to hear.

C

My area of research is English Literature...

B

I guess its different for different PhDs, but I reckon the very real risk in a library based PhD is the isolation. Unlike a scientific PhD that often requires working with a team, clinicans, etc, I can imagine that apart from your supervisor and a few fellow academics, you would pretty much be left to your own devices (although I may be wrong about this).

Also from my uni days the arts PhDs seemed to take longer to finish , and seeemed to get paid lower stipends ((but that may just be my perception and may have changed).

O

I think chrisrolinski summarised it spot on.

It's hell. For every success you go through at least three periods of pain and depression.

I can't believe how bitter I sound.

X

Hey Charlie! From my own personal experience, and hearing other people's stories along the way, I'd say don't push yourself too hard at the beginning, as most of us probably did when we started, and then realised 'Hey, this is a long race...think I'd better pace myself!' One sound piece of advice I would give is to have other interests outside the PhD so you don't burn out. Make sure that you're doing other things that you enjoy alongside your study, shake it up a bit so you don't get bogged down in routine. I find that exploring new study spaces breaks up your days (museums, coffee houses, etc.) ENJOY!

C

The good days on which I finds reading interesting, have a great monthly supervision, write something worthwhile etc - are always balanced by days in which I feel a real sense of despair, futility and frustration at my abilites and research. I probably haven't felt so stretched before in my life - which is good - but I never expected to feel so invested in my work (in terms of time, thought, and the funding I recieve). Which can be a good and bad thing. Why else would I be writing part of a paper at 7pm?! (except the fact it is due in two days!)

C

o.stoll: I'm currently in the hellish phase. Perhaps a PhD is an authentic glimpse at purgatory?

R

I agree with badhaircut with the exception that quite often scientific PhDs can be very isolating for the PhD student as well, especially when you've got tests after tests to do on your own. And you're often doing it alone because you've had to book the equipment or lab or room when no one else is about.

B

Doing a PhD is a special kind of Hell.

Yeah - I'd say the isolation is the thing to be aware of, especially doing something like English Lit. Make sure you build up a *wide* support network of friends (ie - not just people doing PhDs in your department!) and try to get out a lot (day trips at the week-end are good). Also, depeding on your temperament, don't be too hard on yourself - reward all the little achievements as they soon add up to a chapter!

Anyway, this has come out more like advice than what it is like. I guess I would say it can be isolating, consuming & demoralizing ... and these are just a few tips to make it not like that.

S

The past 15 months since I started my PhD have been the most miserable experience of my life. Although I have a fantastic supervisor, and have made some great friends, the whole process of constantly having everything you think and say analysed is mentally and physically exhausting. Combined with the fact that I hate my uni (apart from the supervisor and friends), and the fact that I have had personal disasters one after the other, I was happier in a mundane office job.
Saying that, I love my topic, I really want to make the point I am trying to make. The only advice I can give is to get a routine as early as possible. Force yourself to work, when you say you will, then give yourself time to relax and meet friends before you lose all touch with the real world.

C

Thanks everyone! I think the best bet is to be prepared for the isolation and as you say, make sure I have interests/friends outside of my PhD.

T

English lit phds are best compared with the life of a medieval monk - they are incredibly isolating. I hear science phd's moan about their labmates, but as Yeats once said, strife is better than lonliness.
So if you take it on, keep in touch with friends - especially those not doing phds, as otherwise you all end up depressed together.