PhD/ MPhil

O

Hey guys,

I am a level 2 self funded PhD student and I would like to have your advice or experience on something.. Before x-mas I submitted my first year report and I had an oral viva in order to proceed from MPhil to PhD. It was sucessful and I ''passed'' as was expected. Although, my supervisor is moving to another university& country and he has asked me to follow him and do my PhD there as his is holding a huge grant and I will have a scholarship as well. So I am thinking to move and continue my Phd in the new uni, although if I continue my PhD in the new uni as a level 2 student then I will get nothing from the uni I am now.. So I was thinking if it possible to get an MPhil (I already hold a Bsc and MSc) from the current uni for my level 1 work and go to the new uni as a ''new'' level 1 student and spend all my 3 year scholarship and not just the 2.
Any suggestions?

Thanx

P

What's this level 1 and level 2 thing?

O

year 1 or 2 student

P

Depends on your supervisor's status, contacts etc apart from uni regulations. In the UK generally I have seen transfer students starting from scratch, (though there are some exceptions), the best person to answer this is your supervisor. He would know the regulations in the country to which you are going, the equations within the school and the department, and his own hold on the rules and regulations (depending on how flexible they are or not).

So all of these factors influence whether you shall be able to do this from first year or second year, and the only person who can give you a clear picture is your sup.

B

An MPhil is usually a research degree requiring at least 2 years of work. It's not the same as a 1-year taught MA or MSc.