PhD or Job

Hi, I thought I would attach a link I discovered (while looking for something else) that might be of interest. It is pretty neutral about completing a doctorate, and has been written by someone who has and is working in academia. It isn't for or against but it does present a different perspective. I am glad that both ToL and Fled put up alternative perspectives as well. I like to think I am both practical and passionate, but I think in the end for me practicality outweighs the passion, so while I don't think I would leave a job right now for a doctorate, it doesn't mean it isn't right for others to do so. Anyway here is the link:

H

I would definitely go with the job!

I am enjoying my PhD but academia is a very difficult environment to work in. It is very isolating, competitive and there is absolutely no guarantee of a job. Even senior academics are on short term contracts.

U

Hi,

I'm about to finish my PhD. I just wanted to say to go for the job.

Interesting that people who have done / are doing the doctorate are advising against such a course.

T

Definitely the job! Good luck!

T

If people can't write their own SOP I don't think they should be doing a PhD to be honest. It's not that difficult to look up the requirements and write something. But then again, I guess there must be people out there that want to pay for your services.