PhD Panics... advice?

M

Hey all,

I posted on here a few times earlier this year, when looking for a PhD. I found one, which I am due to start in 2 weeks. And I'm starting to panic big time - about the work, the difficulty, the techniques, the workload, the pressure and everything else I can find to worry about. To be honest, I was the same before my BSc, and that worked out fine, but I guess I'm just worried about panicking so much it affects my work, and am also worried about being thrown in at the deep end and panicking a lot more. Any words of advice (or derision, but less of the derision if poss)?
Thanks...

S

I'm in the same boat as you. As long as you remember that you are the apprentice, and therefore not expected to be an expert (yet) you'll be fine. I should imagine there is an initial settling in period before you find your feet. Most unis have induction classes and talks. I daresay there will also be others in the same position as you at the uni. Everything will be alright.

F

I started a thread before about my nerves, we are all in the same boat (us newbies). I have just finished working life as a museum assistant this morning, suddenly it is feeling all to real!

S

Yes, me too. Received an email message this morning that I will be teaching two tutorial groups over the next 20 weeks. I think it's great!

T

I am a wee bit nervous too.. But excited at the same time..

Where are all the other newbies going? I am off to Norwich

F

Loughborough, moving via plane (as currently live in Edinburgh) so can only bring a few bits & bobs...so back to no TV (as long as I have music I can live) and my laptop (so I can watch DVDs).

C

I'm off to Leeds (well, I'm staying here..) but I think I've already mentioned that a million times

F

I can do if you want DanB. However, a good pint of ale with some good pub grub equally works!

T

Mmmm real ale.. can't beat it!

F

Is there a CAMRA pub anywhere near Lufbra DanB? Pint of Bitter & Twisted or Fraoch anyone (two very different ales from North of the Border, Fraoch is made with Heather, where as B&T is more a trad ale).

M

I'm off to Sheffield, which is both where I did my degree, and where I have worked as a research technician for the past year. I'd prefer to be at home in Preston (a great city which never gets the credit it deserves), but UCLan is dire in all but a few subject areas.

M

Oh, and Fifi_fole, you seem to have very good taste in beer indeed. I prefer Grozet to Fraoch myself, but any beer by Harviestoun is worth a try in my book.

F

Why thank you Matthew82. It is due to digging (as in archaeological digging) that I have come to taste some fine ales. DanB, any local brews worth a look out?

M

Hmm, do you have to have a bushy beard too? And a black T-shirt with some brewery's slogan on it?

F

Nope, I was a 27 year old (ok almost 28 who cares) female last time I checked.