PhD poster

B

Hi All,

I'm having a stress about my upcoming PhD poster at a conference.
Generally the poster is fine, and my flow cytometry data is looking good, but as sod's law would predict it, my associated westerns aren't working as well as they should. I have had meetings with my supervisors, and both have been very supportive despite me having a lot of issues, and I had thought I turned a corner until the last week.

I have emailed about my concerns but I am worried that due to my dodgy westerns I've let myself and them down again, and really wanted to do well for all of us.

Any tips?

C

From my experience of doing a poster presentation, I don't think it matters if you don't have a set of perfect data for the poster (I had to do mine with only pilot test information, as that was all I had at the time). I think if you can talk to people about your ideas and the work is still ongoing, that is fine.

B

Hi,

thanks for the tips. It's my first poster presentation so I'm a bit worried about it as I don't know what to expect - I suppose having really good data really would help me feel a bit more prepared!

C

I found that people who approached me had either a general interest in my topic or they were doing something similar and wanted to ask specific questions about things like which measures I was using. Remember that you know more about your project than they do, and don't feel afraid to say that you're still collecting data or whatever.