PhD / RA combo & other

T

======= Date Modified 16 58 2010 19:58:15 =======
Well, I know there are some similar threads to mine, but I thought that summing my thoughts/concerns in a new thread would be more appropriate. Here we go.

I'm getting my BSc in Computing this summer and I was initially heading for an MSc. However, I got an offer which I don't think I should overlook, but, at the same time, don't know if it will be easy/hard. The offer: PT PhD (4 years) combined with an RA (Research Assistant) job for an EU (European Union) project (that my university is part of), collaborating with some 'top players' of the Computing industry. Salary is 25k for 3 years after PhD fees (The RA part will be for 3 years). The 'bonus' of this is that what I have to do as an RA is my actual PhD subject/deliverable, so it's kind of a '3 for 1 deal', Paid work, 3 years working experience and a PhD at the end. How does that sound? Is it achievable?
Another hesitation I have is the fact that I'm a European student. Student life in the UK is basically 6months@uni / 6months@home. The RA/PhD combo means approx ~7weeks per year at home (for the 1st 3 years at least).

P.S. I flooded you with tons of questions, my apologies in advance ,)

P

Hi there,

I work on a coupel of European Commission projects (about 3 days a week) although my PhD is distinctly separate from the projects. IMO, if you want to stay in academia and have a research led career, these things absolutely go on the CV. They introduce you to a network of European scholars and researchers, they introduce you to European peers at various levels, teach you how projects work and are great experience. Since you are not an international student you will be able to keep the money unlike moi!

If your PhD is what the RA thing is, it is like a studentship in some senses, so in that way too you are better placed than me.

Holidays well, when you student life inthe UK is 6 months vacation, I would say term breaks are till the Masters level. then on, who takes 6 months off a year? Our dept continues work, we continue research. We take about 4 or 5 weeks max off a year, at least thats what most of my peers, faculty and I do.

So its a good deal, I encourage you being involved with EC projects, to go for this.

On the relationship count, let;s wait for others to pop by, for I suck (royally) at relationships and have great shame in venturing to advice anyone :)

A

hi there

id def say you should go for it, it sounds like a great opportunity to get work experience while doing your phd and the contacts you'll make and people you'll be working with are invaluable. Regarding your relationship, even if you are doing a masters, at this stage post-undergrad the big holidays don't exist anymore. You will have to spend most if not all of your time in the country you are working/studying in regardless of whether or not you do a masters, phd or a 'normal' non-academic job. Your girlfriend I'm sure will understand this. You will still be with her for the next 2 years while she finishes her degree and then who knows where she might get a job, she could stay in the same place as you until you finish your degree. I wouldn't get too hung up on how things will go in the future, there is absolutely no way to figure out that now. You have no idea what opportunities will open up for you.
So I say go for it!

T

Hey,

Thanks for the fast and useful replies, much appreciated ;)