PhD Romance.... (A Sudden Thought)

A

I've just received a great e-mail from an old friend of mine back home telling me her boyfriend has proposed. For some odd reason this reminded me of something I've read in two of those 'How to do a PhD' books (can't remember the titles).

Both books said that for a good relationship, a PhD candidate should really only get involved with another PhD student because only they would understand the strains and pressures of a doctorate degree. Personally I think this is codswallop (there's more to a relationship than your state of education), although, looking around the chemistry department at Nottingham, a lot of people have paired off (PhD students hand in hand, bless :-) I was just wondering what other people's opinions were on this?

A

Possibly it helps to have someone who understands exactly the stresses involved in a PhD i.e. why you sometimes (often!) have to work in the evenings and at weekends and why you can't take leave at crucial times. However, it obviously can work if one of you isn't mad enough to have taken on a PhD (my boyfriend hasn't got a first degree and I like to think we're doing ok!).

S

I don't think it should be allowed! (although SO many people seem to find their partners at work, I really think there should be some kind of rule against it)

J

I don't think it matters.

B

I agree. It is a shambolic statement! My girlfriend is finishing her degree but I can assure you that I moan all the time about the pressure and workload so she knows full well what its like. It seems a little 'masonary' to suggest it should be kept within the confines of PhD life.

J

I actually can't think of anything worse than going out with another PhD student. How boring would that be??!!! Can you imagine the conversations. I like getting home and my bf who works as a games tester telling me all about his day playing games. The last thing I want to hear is someone moaning on about their experiments etc.!!! Thats my job! ;)

Although, my bf is doing a masters next year and wants to do a PhD so I guess I won't escape it!