PHD's at American Uni's

E

First off, I know this is probably an annoying question, and one that, with a bit of effort, I would be able to find the answers to elsewhere, but I thought I'd ask anyway, in case anyone is clued up. If anyone is offended by the inanity of the question, please just ignore it rather than calling me a lazy, good for nothing loser, who if incapable of finding the answers himself, is thinking about the wrong thing....anyway:

Does anyone know how easy it is to get funding to do a PHD at a US university? (In a biology-related subject, as a brit) Obviously I know it isn't "easy"; what I mean is: is it virtually impossible, or is it something worth looking into?

G

The THES last week had an article re the USA cutting down markedly on overseas studentships due to the economic climate of US education. In other words greatly favouring US nationals. Don't let that put you off though.

As there is funding such as British Marshall Scholarships available to US students to study at UK institutions, there might be an equal one for UK students to study at US universities. Have you checked the embassy websites etc?

E

To be honest, all I've done is had a brief look at a few university websites, and tried to hunt out a US equivalent to this website, which doesn't seem to exist. I'm not sure I want to go over the pond anyway, just something to think about on a slow, dragging afternoon. I thought I might speculatively ask on here, in case others had looked into it, in order to save time. I'll check out the embassay though.- good idea.

M

From my observation US likes and wants people who are already educated and likely to bring profit to them as a country without any serious investments.

I think it is possible to find a PhD there though. Again, they like profit and if you convince them that investing the money first will make you a profitable worker later, you should be able to find something good.

Try all kinds of UK-US cooperation organisations or charities. Embassy will most likely have something that will oblige you to come back to the UK after you finish. If you are ready to commit urself for after the PhD then you might try that.

European PhD stipends are easier to get I think, but they say American science gets more funding, hence better possibilities...

Good luck anyway.

J

try the fulbright conmission or kennedy trust and investigate what financial aid packages that are available to overseas students at the US universities you might be interested in. Competition is likely to be extremely tough. Probably as tough as it gets.