PhD studentship contract

M

Hi guys,

I have been recently awarded a studentship and my contract indicates that I shall remain in the University, for a minimum time period after I have been awarded my Doctorate, if there is a suitable vacancy available. Is anyone in a similar scheme/contract that requires for him/her to stay after thesis submission?

Thank you in advance.

F

I personally am not in this situation, but I have a friend at another University who is. As part of the terms and conditions of their studentship they must remain at their University for three years after completion should a suitable position be available.

I don't think it's all that unusual, and probably to prevent that institution investing a lot of time and money in an individual only for them to leave immediately. I wouldn't worry, because if there isn't a suitable position they would have to let you leave.

M

Thanks fatbob.

O

Just for info: if your studies are in the UK, the university contract is not legally binding. In other words, even if you leave earlier they can not force you to re-pay any funding, fees etc.

They could possibly ask you too but as stated above - no legal obligation.

O

"As part of the terms and conditions of their studentship they must remain at their University for three years after completion should a suitable position be available."

That's wishful thinking on behalf of the university. Quite frankly, it's ridiculous. Nobody can force you to stay for three years and universities try to create their own laws here. But the legal situation is clearly not in favour of these university policies.

F

o.stoll,

As usual of course, you are right - being a lawyer to trade I can vouch for that. Of course, morally I wouldn't agree with somebody however agreeing to those terms and conditions at the outset (which in ALL of these cases is the case) accept thousands of pounds in funding for fees and TENS of thousands of pounds personally by way of stipend, in many cases being given the benefit of being able to teach classes and then walk away from the agreement once their own personal benefit has ended without giving anything back! Ok, so 3 years I would say IS over the top, but a year or possibly two I wouldn't say is much to expect.

So in contract terms - unenforceable, but I'd think twice about burning your bridges at a University (which you WOULD be doing) if you're seriously considering staying in academia. Especially so since many staff members will have links to other Universities also.

O

I agree - it wouldn't be fair to just walk away.

M

I agree that it is not fair or even professionally ethical to walk away after completing my studies. It’s just that my studies are in the UK but I come from another European country. If I decide to stay in the UK after I have completed my PhD, I would be happy to work for my current University. However, I haven’t decided at this point if I want to remain in the UK for three more years (six years in total). In case I wish to go back to my country, I would like to be able to do so without having to pay back the stipend or being obliged to stay…