PhD studies directly after a BA

H

The BA certificate does not state what my overall grade is. If I look at my BA certificate it states that I got in my major subject a 4/5 in the first part (Basic studies) and 4/5 in the second part (Intermediate Studies for Major Subject). I also made a research for the BA exam.

Then I have studied minor topics. There I did receive a 4/5, 3/5 and 3/5. I did also have other studies. From those I did not get any grades.

If I calculate 4+4+4+3+3=18 and as 18/5=3,6 I have an overall grade for my BA a 3,6. Is that really the same as a 2:2 in Great Britain? Have I calculated this correctly?

N

Sorry Historian, I am not familiar with Finnish qualifications to say for sure but examples I found might help:

W

Nataliephd has given you some good course information there. Birmingham is very good choice and they do have Mres in a few history courses as well as possible funding. You would do well to consider this uni for an application. :-)

H

I am thinking about 3 options. Firstly I am thinking about applying for PhD studies at the Institute for Medieval Studies or the School of English at the University of Leeds. My second option is to do a MA in Sweden. My third option is to continue here at the University of Helsinki but that would be to focus on something that is completely different than the Middle Ages. I want to focus on the Middle Ages but here is not such a good opportunity for that. :(

Thank you Nataliephd for your help. That is much appreciated. :)

E

Hello, have a BA (1st) and no MA, and have nearly finished my PhD in humanities. Was a bit of a crisis earlier on, but completely on track now and doing well.